EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detaineesMay 6th, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 6 (IANS) The European Union (EU) Sunday called for a fair trial for suspected Tamil Tiger rebels held in Sri Lankan prisons.
They should be either charged or released, said Jean Lambert, chair of the European parliament delegation for relations with countries in South Asia.
Hundreds of suspected Tamil Tiger rebels and political prisoners are currently lodged in Sri Lankan jails, some of whom have not faced trial or a charge years or months after they were arrested, Xinhua reported quoting Tamil political parties in Sri Lanka.
Asked about former Sri Lankan Army chief Gen. Sarath Fonseka, who is in prison and has sought bail, Lambert said the EU had wanted even him to be given a fair trial.
Fonseka was imprisoned over several charges just after he lost the presidential election in 2010 against incumbent President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Lambert also said that the fact that some war displaced people are still in temporary camps or shelters is of concern to the European parliament.
Lambert led a delegation to Sri Lanka last week and had talks with Sri Lankan officials in Colombo and in the eastern parts of the country.
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Fonseka jailed for three years - Nov 18, 2011
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- Chaos in Colombo court after ex-army chief gets new jail term - Nov 19, 2011
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- Hearing in fraud case against Rajapaksa begins - Jul 05, 2010
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- US believed Rajapaksa was responsible for 2009 Tamil massacre: Wikileaks - Dec 03, 2010
- Sri Lanka against disguising global influence - May 02, 2012
- Fonseka loses MP seat appeal as Sri Lankan SC rules court martial legal - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: army chief, colombo, countries in south asia, detainees, european parliament delegation, european union, incumbent president, jails, jean lambert, mahinda rajapaksa, parliament, political parties in sri lanka, political prisoners, president mahinda rajapaksa, presidential election, prisons, rebels, sarath fonseka, sri lankan army, xinhua