EU to enforce Iran oil embargo from July onwardsJune 26th, 2012 - 10:57 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, June 26 (IANS) The European Union (EU) has formally approved an embargo on Iranian oil to be enforced from July 1 onwards.
The EU Foreign Affairs Council made the decision following a review of the EU’s restrictive measures against Iran in Luxembourg. It means that the latest package of EU sanctions against the country will apply as earlier decided, and two exemptions will end, as scheduled, July 1, Xinhua reported.
This latest package of sanctions against Iran was adopted in January 2012. It banned imports of Iranian crude oil and petroleum products, but exempted “already concluded contracts,” which can still be executed until July 1, 2012.
Contracts for importing Iranian oil that were concluded before Jan. 23 will have to be terminated by July 1. From the same date, the EU insurers may no more provide third-party liability and environmental liability insurance for the transport of Iranian oil.
“The measures were taken in relation to the EU’s serious concerns over Iran’s nuclear programme. The objective of the EU remains to achieve a comprehensive, long-term settlement on the basis of meaningful negotiations between the E3+3 (the US, Britain, China, France, Russia and Germany) and Iran,” said an EU statement.
- 'EU ban to cause hefty economic loss to Europeans' - Jan 31, 2012
- EU bans Iranian oil imports (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Jan 24, 2012
- Iran threatens to cut oil exports to more countries - Feb 21, 2012
- A tough balancing act awaits Manmohan Singh in Tehran - Jul 31, 2012
- Iran may stop Europe oil exports - Jan 26, 2012
- Egypt to continue transporting Iran oil - Jul 16, 2012
- Iran threatens legal action over oil embargo - Jul 05, 2012
- IAEA team to visit Iran as EU slaps oil imports ban - Jan 24, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Enough global oil to sideline Iran: Obama - Mar 31, 2012
- 'Iran to stop oil exports to some EU members soon' - Jan 30, 2012
- India open to all mechanisms to buy Iranian oil (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- EU reaches deal on extra Iran sanctions, says Germany - Jun 15, 2010
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- Oil jumps on Iran tension - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: brussels, contracts, crude oil, e3, environmental liability, eu sanctions, european union, foreign affairs council, iran oil embargo, iranian oil, july 1, liability insurance, meaningful negotiations, objective, petroleum products, restrictive measures, sanctions against iran, serious concerns, third party liability, xinhua