EU sends Pakistan $7.5 mn to help conflict victimsMay 14th, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 14 (DPA) The European Union (EU) Thursday gave Pakistan 5.5 million euros ($7.5 million) in aid to help civilians driven from their homes by the country’s assault on the Taliban.
The emergency donation is intended to provide refugees from the fighting in Pakistan’s restive Swat Valley and surrounding areas with shelter, food, basic utensils and medical supplies.
In some places, it will also fund clean drinking water and improved sanitation, the EU’s executive, the European Commission, said in a statement.
The money will be channelled through relief agencies such as the Red Cross and Red Crescent, the UN’s High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) and the World Food Programme, the statement said.
According to the UNHCR, half a million Pakistanis have been left homeless by fighting between government forces and the Taliban since a peace deal broke down at the end of April.
In all, over one million civilians are thought to have fled their homes in Pakistan’s troubled frontier provinces with Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
- EU raises humanitarian assistance to Sri Lanka - May 08, 2011
- EU gives flood aid to Pakistan - Oct 18, 2011
- EU to give Pakistan over 100 million euros in aid (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- UN receives just $136 mn for Pakistan's displaced - Jun 09, 2009
- EU sends $2.5 mn to conflict victims in Kashmir - Jul 09, 2010
- US hails UAE support to displaced Pakistanis - Jul 14, 2009
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- EU to provide Rs.200 million for flood relief - Oct 13, 2011
- EU: we cannot lose sight of Thai refugee camps - Mar 11, 2011
- Pakistan vows to take anti-Taliban operations to logical conclusion - May 25, 2009
- New Zealand pledges $785,000 for aid in Libya - Apr 14, 2011
- Four million flood-hit Pakistanis still homeless: Red Cross - Jan 22, 2011
- EU offers $28 mn aid to Syria - Jun 09, 2012
- 60 percent of Swat's schools destroyed: UN - Jun 06, 2009
- UN says $543 mn needed for Pakistan's displaced (Lead) - May 22, 2009
Tags: 5 million, civilians, clean drinking water, conflict victims, european commission, government forces, half a million, medical supplies, one million, pakistanis, peace deal, red crescent, red cross, refugees, sanitation, swat valley, taliban, unhcr, utensils, world food programme