EU policing could fuel tensions in Kosovo: RussiaMay 8th, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by admin
Moscow, May 8 (RIA Novosti) Efforts by the European Union (EU) to take over from the UN policing in Kosovo in June are only fanning tensions in the region, Russian deputy foreign minister Alexander Yakovenko said Thursday. The EU plans to deploy a 2,000-strong police and justice mission in Kosovo to eventually replace the UN mission.
The UN mission in Kosovo, stationed in the area since the end of an inter-ethnic conflict in 1999, plans to ‘re-configure’ itself in the region after June 15, when Kosovo’s government is due to take over from the UN.
“The EU mission, due to its illegitimate status, is not able to fulfil its functions in the civil sphere [in Kosovo],” Yakovenko told the government daily, Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
The diplomat said the deployment of the EU mission in the province was possible only under the UN auspices with Belgrade’s consent.
“The attempts to replace the UN mission and to appropriate its goals and mandate simply make the situation even worse,” he added.
Kosovo, with a 90 percent ethnic Albanian majority, has been formally recognised as a sovereign state by over 37 countries including the US and most EU members.
Russia, Serbia’s long-time ally and a veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council, has refused to recognize Kosovo’s independence.
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- UN Kosovo mission to be reorganised soon - Jun 05, 2008
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Medvedev urges security for Russian diplomats in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- Clinton hopes Russia, China will change stance on Syria - Feb 25, 2012
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia to seek dismissal of UN Kosovo mission chief - Jun 12, 2008
- Russia's Syria policy could lead to civil war: Clinton - Jun 01, 2012
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Russia raps EU sanctions against Iran - Jul 27, 2010
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan seeks Russian help to control violence (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Russia calls for probe into Syrian massacre - May 30, 2012
Tags: auspices, civil sphere, deployment, diplomat, ethnic albanian majority, ethnic conflict, european union, foreign minister, kosovo, mandate, ria novosti, rossiyskaya gazeta, russian deputy, sovereign state, tensions, time ally, un mission in kosovo, un security council, veto, yakovenko