EU plans its first summit with PakistanMay 10th, 2009 - 8:24 am ICT by IANS
Prague, May 10 (IANS) The European Union (EU) plans to hold a summit with Pakistan in June to help strengthen the civilian government there, a media report said Sunday.
The decision to hold the summit is “a testament to the political importance the EU attaches to its relationship with the country,” a source in the Czech EU presidency said.
“This is the first EU-Pakistan summit ever to be held. The EU wants to help strengthen the civilian government in Pakistan by showing strong support on the highest level,” Dawn reported quoting the source as saying.
Among the subjects to be discussed at the summit include terrorism, enhanced cooperation in the field of rule of law and trade. The summit is provisionally planned for June 17.
The EU and the US have in recent months showed a growing urgency to boost ties with Pakistan due to its strategic importance in the fight against terrorism.
The EU has sent some 500 million euros (about $68 million) in aid to Pakistan since 1976, according to the European Commission, executive body of the EU.
EU wants to focus Pakistan’s lawless border areas with Afghanistan with its aid, mainly on rural development, natural resources management, education and human resource sectors.
- EU planning to hold summit with Pakistan - May 10, 2009
- Pakistan seeks strategic dialogue with EU - Nov 25, 2011
- EU offers over $138 mn in aid to Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- EU seeks Pakistan's help against Islamist insurgents - Jun 16, 2009
- EU to give Pakistan over 100 million euros in aid (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- Zardari wants early finalisation of engagement plan with EU - Aug 02, 2011
- EU to use Pak floods to redefine relationship following Cameron's 'terror export' fallout - Aug 14, 2010
- IMF to explore options to combat global economic risks - Jan 18, 2012
- EU welcomes resumption of India-Pakistan talks - Jun 05, 2010
- EU vigilant against misuse of aid to Pakistan - Nov 04, 2009
- Iran, trade deal high on India-EU summit agenda - Feb 05, 2012
- Hundreds protest atrocities against minorities in Pakistan - Jun 04, 2010
- India-EU summit to be held in New Delhi on Nov 6: S M Krishna - Jun 30, 2009
- Pakistan foreign minister to hold talks with EU - Mar 10, 2009
- 'Pakistan is too important for EU to ignore' - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: border areas, civilian government, commission executive, cooperation, dawn, eu presidency, european commission, european union, executive body, human resource, management education, natural resources management, pakistan, prague, resource sectors, rule of law, rural development, summit, testament, urgency