EU NAVFOR disrupts Somali pirate attackNovember 17th, 2010 - 11:37 pm ICT by BNO News
MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (BNO NEWS) — A European Union (EU) Naval Force (NAVFOR) was able to disrupt a Pirate Action Group, the EU said Wednesday.
The EU NAVFOR French Flagship FS de Grasse. while sailing in the Gulf of Aden, intercepted and disrupted a Pirate Action Group comprising of one skiff with seven suspected pirates onboard.
Wednesday morning, the “Alouette” helicopter from the EU NAVFOR French warship FS Meuse detected the suspicious activity in the Gulf of Aden and informed FS de Grasse, who immediately launched her helicopter, locating the skiff with seven suspected pirates onboard.
During the operation, warning shots were fired from the helicopter to stop the skiff before he boarding team from FS de Grasse was dispatched and successfully intercepted the skiff.
Ladders were seen to be thrown overboard and the boarding team found weapons and ammunitions onboard the skiff (2 RPG, 2 launch disposals, 1 AK47 and 7.62 ammunitions).
As there was insufficient evidence to pursue a prosecution, the piracy paraphernalia were confiscated and the seven suspected pirates were returned to Somalia in their skiff.
- EU NAVFOR Netherlands warship disrupts Pirate Action Group - May 08, 2010
- Malta-flagged vessel seized by pirates in the Gulf of Aden - Sep 09, 2010
- USS San Jacinto disrupts Somali pirates' attack disrupts - Jun 01, 2010
- Bahamas-flagged merchant vessel escapes pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Norwegian tanker - Mar 06, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Thai Navy disrupts Somali pirate attack on Liberian-flagged vessel - Nov 01, 2010
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Somali pirates attack and board UK-flagged ship in failed hijack attempt - Jan 04, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- China sends escort fleet to Gulf of Aden - Jul 03, 2011
- Somali pirates seize Thai vessel - Oct 29, 2009
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: ak47, alouette helicopter, ammunitions, bno, de grasse, disposals, french warship, gulf of aden, insufficient evidence, ladders, launch, meuse, mogadishu somalia, paraphernalia, pirate attack, skiff, somali, suspected pirates, suspicious activity, warning shots