EU, HRW criticise Musharraf’s decision to declare an emergencyNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:26 am ICT by admin
“We urge a solution to be found within the Constitution. We condemn any provisions of the state of emergency that are unconstitutional. In general, the rule of law must be respected,” he added.
He said that the scheduled election must take place on the date that has been arranged, and added that the democratic process should not be interrupted any further.
The Human Rights Watch has also condemned the Provisional Constitution Order calling it a “shameless attempt to prevent Pakistanis from enjoying their basic rights under the law and a brazen attempt at muzzling the judiciary.”It is dishonest of the Pakistani Government to refer to this extra-constitutional and illegal action as the imposition of a state of emergency,” the New York-based human rights watchdog group said in a statement.
It urged the Bush Administration to end its support for Musharraf, the Dawn reported.
The HRW noted that the state of emergency could have been imposed within the framework of the Constitution. Instead, the constitution is no longer in force.
“Unwilling to tolerate an independent judiciary that could possibly rule his election illegal, Musharraf has sought to muzzle it through extra-constitutional means,” it said. (ANI)
- Nov 3, 2007 turning point for Pakistan's judiciary: Chief Justice - Feb 07, 2011
- Issue orders to check khap panchayats, SC urged - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Chaudhary's sacking a mistake, I don't think I committed blunders,' says Musharraf - Sep 19, 2009
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Emergency a sad period in Indian history: Kuldip Nayar (June 25 marks 35th anniversary of Emergency) - Jun 25, 2010
- 'Chastened' Musharraf confesses removing CJP was wrong - Sep 18, 2009
- Sharif wants Pak Army pledge to never again violate constitution, impose martial law - Aug 05, 2009
- Pakistan Army and ISI is kidnapping and killing people of Gilgit Baltistan (Part-2) - Dec 18, 2010
- Congress making Sanjay scapegoat for Emergency misdeeds: Advani (Lead) - Jan 02, 2011
- Bangladesh apex court wants safeguards against military rule - Jul 29, 2010
- Plea in SC seeks action against Mamata (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- U.S. condemns Syria's violent crackdown on protesters - Apr 13, 2011
- '40 percent of Goa mining operations without clearances' - Jun 14, 2012
- "There is no moderate Taliban": Musharraf - Sep 30, 2010
- Image of independent judiciary necessary for Pakistan, says Pakistan's Chief Justice - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: brazen attempt, criticise, extremism, hrw, human rights watch, human rights watchdog, illegal action, independent judiciary, musharraf, muzzle, pakistan, pakistani government, provisional constitution, security situation, shameless attempt, solana, state of emergency, urge, watchdog group