EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomatsFebruary 14th, 2012 - 6:30 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, Feb 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The European Union has condemned the bomb attacks on Israeli diplomats’ cars in India and Georgia.
On Monday, a bomb blast in New Delhi set an Israeli Embassy’s car on fire and injured four people, while an explosive device underneath a diplomat’s car in Tbilisi was discovered and safely defused.
“The High Representative condemns in the strongest terms today’s attacks targeting personnel of the Israeli embassies in India and Georgia,” European Union’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton’s spokesperson said in a written statement Monday.
The US also condemned the attacks and pledged to help with the investigation.
“The United States places a high priority on the safety and security of diplomatic personnel around the world and we stand ready to assist with any investigation of these cowardly actions,” said US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier blamed Iran and the militant Islamist Hezbollah movement for the attacks, which appeared to mirror the recent killings of Iranian nuclear scientists that Tehran blamed on Israel.
Iran denied the accusation saying it was part of the “Zionist regime’s psychological war against Iran”, which targeted controversial Iranian nuclear programme.
Western countries and Israel suspect Iran of seeking to build an atomic bomb, but Tehran says its nuclear programme is aimed at the production of peaceful civilian energy and that it has no need of such “un-Islamic” weapons.
- Iran denies role in Israel embassy car explosion - Feb 14, 2012
- Iran condemns Bangkok blasts - Feb 15, 2012
- Two Iranian suspects in Bangkok blast released - Feb 28, 2012
- Iran rejects Israeli accusations over Bulgaria blast - Jul 19, 2012
- Iran envoy blames Israel for Bangkok bombings - Feb 19, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Iran makes arrests in scientist's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- Israeli team to reach Delhi to discuss attack - Feb 15, 2012
- Israeli diplomats world over use taxis after attacks - Feb 14, 2012
- India assures Israel full support in probe, no Iran link (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran behind attack on Israeli missions: Netanyahu - Feb 13, 2012
- Diplomat car bombing: Iran to consider India's probe plan (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Unfazed by US, India to step up ties with Tehran - Feb 14, 2012
- Unfazed by US, India to scale up business with Iran (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- India assures Israel full support in probe, plays neutral (Roundup) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: atomic bomb, benjamin netanyahu, bomb attacks, bomb blast in new delhi, car on fire, embassies in india, explosive device, high priority, hillary clinton, israeli embassies, israeli embassy, israeli prime minister, militant islamist, minister benjamin netanyahu, nuclear scientists, prime minister benjamin, psychological war, ria novosti, western countries, zionist regime