EU chief accuses French minister of lying over Gipsies’ deportationSeptember 15th, 2010 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 15 (ANI): European Union Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding has accused French Minister for Immigration Eric Besson of lying over Gipsies’ deportation and comparing the government to Nazis.
French ministers have been accused of acting like Nazis by forcibly deporting gipsies.Viviane Reding, the EU justice commissioner, branded the onslaught against the Roma people a ‘disgrace’, threatening huge fines, Mail Online reports.
It has been reported that on the orders of President Nicolas Sarkozy over the past one month, the riot police have razed some 100 camps and kicked out up to 1,000 men. The French minister claims the illegal settlements are breeding grounds for every type of criminal, from burglars to prostitutes.
Reacting to his comments, Justice Commissioner Reding said the expulsions did nothing, but ‘give the impression that people are being removed from a member state of the European Union just because they belong to an ethnic minority’.
“This is a situation that I had thought Europe would not have to witness again after the Second World War,’ referring to France’s record in assisting Nazi Germany in their Holocaust against ‘undesirables’,” the paper quoted Reding, as saying.
Describing it as a disgrace, Reding said European Commission will have no choice but to initiate infringement procedures against France, which could result in large fines from the European Court of Justice, which sits in Luxembourg.
There are around 15,000 gipsies living around France, predominantly on the outskirts of major cities like Paris and Lyon. (ANI)
- France accused of acting like Nazis over gypsy's forced deportation - Sep 15, 2010
- EU warns France of possible legal action for discrimination - Sep 14, 2010
- France rejects EU criticism on Roma expulsions - Sep 15, 2010
- Hindus ask Sarkozy to resign over Roma fiasco - Sep 17, 2010
- Hindus ask European Commission to take France to Court over Roma "witch hunt" - Sep 10, 2010
- EU to have right 'to be forgotten' law online - Mar 18, 2011
- Hindus & Jews term Roma deportations from European countries as "blatant apartheid" - Aug 01, 2010
- EU official seeks gender balance in company boards - Mar 06, 2012
- Hindus blame European Union for allowing continuous maltreatment of Roma in France - Aug 19, 2010
- Hindus and Jews laud European Parliament for strong message against France Roma expulsions - Sep 08, 2010
- Hindus portray France as an "embarrassment for Europe" in view of Roma maltreatment - Sep 16, 2010
- Hindus and Jews Want Sanctions Against France - Aug 27, 2010
- Hindus & Jews want sanctions against France on Roma maltreatment - Aug 27, 2010
- EU to impose law to save privacy of social network users - Mar 17, 2011
- Hindus laud European Commission for showing guts in warning France over Roma issue - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: breeding grounds, burglars, commissioner viviane, deportation, eric besson, ethnic minority, expulsions, french minister, french ministers, illegal settlements, infringement procedures, member state, nazi germany, nicolas sarkozy, outskirts, president nicolas sarkozy, prostitutes, riot police, second world war, viviane reding