EU agrees trade concessions to flood-hit PakistanSeptember 17th, 2010 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 17 (ANI): The European Union has reportedly agreed to make trade concessions to Pakistan to help it overcome the impact of floods.
According to the BBC, although details of the concessions have not been yet revealed, British diplomats believe that they could potentially be worth millions of dollars and added that the deal could allow Pakistan significant reductions in duties paid on textile exports to EU countries.
Any move to grant Pakistan a waiver on textile duties would also require the consent of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to ensure trade rules are not violated.
The details will be determined in the coming weeks, after the European Commission with the WTO finalise how the concessions could be implemented.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has agreed to immediately provide a 451 million dollars loan to Pakistan and hoped that its decision would encourage more lending by international donors.
However, countries within the EU that have significant textile industries, such as France, Italy and Portugal, may be opposed to the move, the BBC said.
UN refugee agency head Antonio Guterres said that the international aid provided to the flood victims are not sufficient enough to meet their needs and urged for more funds in this regard. (ANI)
- India agrees to duty-free Pakistani exports to EU: Report - Sep 10, 2011
- India's opposition led to EU tariff deal rejection - Jun 27, 2011
- Pakistan seeks India's help at WTO - Jul 05, 2011
- EU likely to offer trade-linked aid to Pakistan - Sep 12, 2010
- EU gives trade preferences to Pakistan - Oct 08, 2010
- EU to decide next week on Pakistan trade concessions - Sep 11, 2010
- EU seeks closer ties with Pakistan - Feb 09, 2012
- India takes up EU's tariff waiver to Pakistan - Dec 10, 2010
- IMF delegation extends Pak visit to finalise pending economic policy issues - Mar 09, 2011
- India, Pakistan to resume talks on trade issues on April 27 - Apr 06, 2011
- IMF to explore options to combat global economic risks - Jan 18, 2012
- IMF approves $36.8 bn loan for Portugal - May 22, 2011
- IMF approves $451mn loan for flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 16, 2010
- 'Pakistan's granting MFN status to India will improve trade ties' - Oct 14, 2011
- Eurozone to lend 150 bn euros to IMF - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,