Ethiopian in Chicago arrested for targeting Obama with HIV-infected bloodFebruary 28th, 2009 - 2:03 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago (US), Feb.28 (ANI): An Ethiopian refugee in Chicago has been arrested for threatening to target President Barack Obama with HIV-infected blood.
According to Fox News, this only the second time ever that HIV-infected blood has been sent with malicious intent through the U.S. mail system, a spokesman for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service said.
The man reportedly sent Obama and his staff envelopes containing HIV-infected blood, in the hope of killing or harming them.
In the weeks leading up to Obama’’s inauguration, Saad Hussein, a refugee in his late 20s, sent an envelope addressed to “Barack Obama” to offices of the Illinois government in Springfield, Ill., according to court documents.
The envelope contained a series of curious items, including a letter with reddish stains and an admission ticket for Obama’’s election-night celebration in Chicago’’s Grant Park.
Court documents said Hussein, who takes drugs to treat a mental illness, later told FBI agents he is “very sick with HIV” and cut his fingers with a razor so he could bleed on the letter.
Hazmat teams were called in after the envelope was opened, and offices of the Illinois Department on Aging and the Department of Revenue were locked down for nearly two hours, locking 300 staffers in their offices, court documents said.
Hussein, with his brother acting as an interpreter, told FBI agents he was actually “an admirer” of Obama and was “seeking help from the government,” according to court documents.
He also told them he was hoping to obtain tickets to the inaugural ceremonies in Washington, the documents said.
Days after sending the letter to Obama, Hussein allegedly placed two more letters in the mail, one addressed to “Emanuel,” an apparent reference to Obama’’s current Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel. The two letters contained what appeared to be dried blood, the court documents said.
Hussein, who has never held a job in the three years he’’s been in the United States, was arrested last month. He was charged with “knowingly” mailing letters “containing HIV-infected blood, with the intent to kill or injure another,” in violation of federal law.
A publicly-appointed attorney representing Hussein declined comment, saying he was “not at liberty to discuss pending criminal matters.” (ANI)
- Democratic Supreme Court puts Rahm Emanuel Back on Mayor Ballot - Jan 26, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel ruled ineligible for appearing on mayor's ballot by Illinois appeals court - Jan 25, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel departs as White House Chief of Staff - Oct 02, 2010
- Woman given HIV-infected blood, to undergo fresh test - Dec 14, 2011
- Illinois SC allows Rahm Emanuel to run for Chicago's Mayor post - Jan 28, 2011
- Rahm Emanuel Allowed To Run For Mayor Finally - Jan 28, 2011
- US approves drug to prevent HIV infection - Jul 17, 2012
- Two women arrested for injecting HIV blood into mother - Oct 07, 2010
- HIV-infected patients at higher risk for bone fractures - Mar 12, 2011
- HIV needle threat a prank, Team Anna - Dec 19, 2011
- 6-month drug regimen 'reduces HIV risk for breastfeeding infants' - Mar 03, 2011
- Illinois Appellate Court Bars Rahm Emanuel From Contesting In Elections For Mayor - Jan 25, 2011
- Why HIV-uninfected babies of mums with HIV are more prone to infections - Feb 09, 2011
- Indian-American on panel to make Chicago immigrant friendly - Aug 18, 2012
- Quran written in Saddam's blood locked in Baghdad - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: admirer, admission ticket, barack obama, department of revenue, election night, fox news, grant park, illinois department, illinois government, inaugural ceremonies, mail system, malicious intent, night celebration, postal inspection service, rahm emanuel, saad, springfield ill, staffers, two letters, us feb