Ernest Hemingways WWII coded exploits to go onlineJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 2:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 2 (ANI): American novelist and journalist Ernest Hemingways unpublished coded exploits during WWII will be made available online from January 5.
Among the important collection of the writers work are some texts about the hunt for German U-boats off the Cuban coast, written in code, while serving on a ship tracking Nazi submarines in the Gulf of Mexico.
The collection consists of some 3,000 letters and other writings by the Nobel laureate, and will be released by curators at the writers former residence in Cuba, where he lived from 1939 to 1961.
Curators at the Finca VigIa museum in Havana, however, say that there are not known to be any new literary texts in the collection.
The release of the Hemingway archive is part of a joint project between the Cuban National Cultural Heritage Council and the US Social Science Research Council.
Next month, the newly released documents will be transferred to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston.
Hemingway aficionados believe that any new material will prove valuable to scholars.
Hemingway was one of the major writers of the 20th century, so almost anything is of interest, Times Online quoted James Campbell, an author of books on American literature, as saying.
Mary Welsh, Hemingways widow, donated Finca VigIa to the Cuban Government to fulfil the writers wishes after he committed suicide in 1961.
The collection at Finca VigIa contains 22,000 items including books, letters and papers, as well as half-finished bottles of gin and whisky. (ANI)
- Cuba, US to preserve Hemingway documents together - Jan 22, 2010
- Andy Garcia lines up financing for Hemingway film - May 17, 2012
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Butler's memoirs offer peek into Hemingway's private life (IANS Books) - Mar 07, 2010
- Cuba celebrates 50th anniversary of Hemingway-Castro meet - May 15, 2010
- US forced Hemingway to leave Cuba: Report - Aug 04, 2009
- Hemingway's works to be available in digital form - Dec 31, 2008
- Hemingway's personal documents to be digitised - Feb 15, 2009
- Hemingway's favourite Cuban bar turns 195 - Jul 07, 2012
- Cuban bar mixes giant cocktail - Jul 23, 2012
- Belgian bartenders create world record for cocktail - Aug 15, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins to play Ernest Hemingway in new film - Nov 05, 2009
- Long-lost Frederic Chopin letters recovered by Warsaw museum - Mar 25, 2011
- Kidman, Owen star as Hemingway, Gellhorn in new film - Mar 29, 2011
- Nabokov's unpublished love letters to be released - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: american literature, american novelist, cuban coast, cuban government, cultural heritage, ernest hemingways, finca vigia, heritage council, including books, james campbell, john f kennedy presidential library, kennedy presidential library, literary texts, london jan, nazi submarines, nobel laureate, science research council, social science research, social science research council, u boats