Equador’s capital Quito named as culture capitalJanuary 11th, 2011 - 10:30 am ICT by IANS
Quito (Equador), Jan 11 (IANS) Equador’s capital city Quito has been recognised by Unesco as the “Latin American Capital of Culture 2011″ - a title that is expected to see an increase in tourist flow this year.”This is a bright opportunity for Quito to be known not only because of its history, but also because of its cultural development,” City Vice Mayor Jorge Alban was quoted as saying by Prensa Latina.
“That’s why there is great expectation,” he said.
Besides its people, two more things make Quito one of the most special cities in the world - having the largest, best preserved historical centre in Latin America and being the epicentre of the first cry for independence in the continent in 1809.
Those qualities captivated Unesco’s International Bureau of Cultural Capitals, which granted the recognition to Quito, 32 years after being declared a World Cultural Heritage site, Alban said.
All through 2011, Quito will be on TV commercials to be broadcast across Europe, Latin America and Asia in a bid to attract more and more tourists.
- Visit Mexican museums, archaeological sites via Google - Jan 30, 2011
- Chile, Brazil form biggest Latin American airline - Jun 24, 2012
- Cuba to host international folklore conference - Nov 05, 2009
- Latin American ministers discuss ways to end hunger - Mar 17, 2010
- Quake hits Nepal's mainstay tourism industry - Sep 21, 2011
- Unesco to help restore Haitian cultural heritage - Mar 11, 2010
- Chinese city eyes more Western tourists - Mar 08, 2012
- Mexico welcomes Indian PM in Hindi (Travelling with the PM) - Jun 18, 2012
- Himachal Pradesh Government to build international airport near Shimla - Oct 26, 2010
- London Olympics to be greenest in history: Envoy - Mar 17, 2012
- 20 countries to participate in Cuba's cultural fest - Apr 30, 2010
- Cuban lab makes medicine from banana peel - Apr 28, 2012
- Make Kolkata, Rio twin cities, suggests trade body - Nov 25, 2010
- US has over a million gangsters - Jun 27, 2011
- Uruguay represented Latin America with dignity: Bolivian president - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: alban, asia, capitals, continent, cultural heritage, culture capital, epicentre, europe, great expectation, latin america, latin american capital, quito equador, tourist flow, tourists, tv commercials, unesco, vice mayor