Epilepsy drug spells hope for Alzheimer’s patientsOctober 28th, 2008 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, Oct 28 (IANS) Canadian researchers have found that a drug used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorders can also be effectively used in treating Alzheimer’s disease.In their study on animal models, researchers at Vancouver-based University of British Columbia have found that Valproic Acid (VPA), used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorders, can also block the formation of plaques that cause Alzheimer’s disease (AD).
If the drug is used in early stages of Alzheimer’s disease, it can help reverse memory loss, the study says.
It says Valproic Acid inhibits the activity of an enzyme that produces a neurotoxic protein called beta Amyloid. In turn, this stops the formation of plaques since beta Amyloid proteins are the main component of plaques that cause Alzheimer’s disease.
“We found that if we used VPA in the early stage of Alzheimer’s disease, in model mice, it reduced plaque formation and further prevented brain cell death and axon damage,” a university statement quoted Weihong Song, study leader and Canada Research Chair in Alzheimer’s disease at the university, as saying.
“The drug also improved performance in memory tests,” he said, adding that the results will help them design human clinical trials.
“We are very excited about these results because we now know when VPA should be administered to be most effective and we now know how VPA is working to prevent Alzheimer’s disease,” said Song.
“A small human clinical trial is currently underway and we expect results to be available in the next year,” he added.
Alzheimer’s disease, which is characterised by progressive brain deterioration and leads to dementia, affects about 300,000 Canadians and 500,000 Americans under the age of 65.
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's - Mar 27, 2011
- Common epilepsy drug could reverse Alzheimer''s symptoms - Oct 28, 2008
- Turmeric-based drug being tested against Alzheimer's - Feb 15, 2012
- Scientists eliminate plaque formation in Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Asthma drug could help fight Alzheimer's disease - Mar 26, 2011
- Novel gene therapy shows promise against Alzheimer's - Mar 05, 2011
- Insulin found promising in treating Alzheimer's - Apr 03, 2011
- Insulin could play powerful role in fighting Alzheimer's - Apr 02, 2011
- Alzheimer's drug not as harmful as believed - Jun 18, 2010
- Liver, not brain, may be source of Alzheimer's plaques - Mar 04, 2011
- Scientists reverse loss of smell in early Alzheimer's - Dec 01, 2011
- Drug reverses Alzheimer's symptoms in mice: Study - Feb 10, 2012
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- Sleep disorders are early signs of Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Scientists isolate gene that protects against Alzheimer's - Jul 13, 2012