EP member decries ruling barring Kirpan-wearing SikhsNovember 12th, 2008 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Nov 12 (IANS) A British Member of the European Parliament (EP) has deplored an EP ruling denying a delegation of Sikhs wearing ceremonial kirpan entry into parliament as security risk and has launched a parliamentary group on treatment of Sikhs in Europe, EUAsia News reported.”This new parliamentary group is intended to look in particular at how Sikhs are treated within Europe,” Lyz Lynne was quoted as saying by the Parliament.com website Tuesday.
“Unfortunately, it would seem that we do not have to go very far to find examples of the discrimination that many Sikhs face everyday,” said the Liberal Democrat MEP for West Midlands.
“This is the third time that leading Sikhs have been denied entry to the parliament due to their wearing the ceremonial kirpan dagger. The kirpan is seen as an article of faith by the Sikh religion, and not as a weapon,” she said.
Lynne is a member of EP’s subcommittee on human rights and has campaigned on a number of Sikh issues.
“I am deeply disappointed that the European parliamentary authorities refuse to recognise the right of Sikh people to wear the kirpan. The kirpan is not a weapon, it is a religious symbol. This is not a question of security but one of religious freedom,” Lynne said.
“In the UK, the right to wear the kirpan is enshrined in law. This includes allowing Sikhs wearing the kirpan to enter the Palace of Westminster. Therefore, I do not see why the rules should be different in the European parliament,” she added.
- Liberal Party leader says Sikhs have right to carry kirpan in Canada - Jan 21, 2011
- Sikh MP's fury over Canadian political party's parliamentary ban on kirpans demand - Jan 20, 2011
- Sikhs with kirpans denied entry to Quebec assembly - Jan 20, 2011
- Kirpan ban slammed by Canadian opposition, media - Jan 21, 2011
- Kirpan carrying Sikhs barred from entering Quebec legislature - Jan 19, 2011
- Canadian Sikhs angry as Quebec assembly bans kirpan - Feb 10, 2011
- We have a right to wear the Kirpan, says British Sikh judge - Feb 08, 2010
- Sikh kids should be allowed to wear ceremonial daggers in public: Brit Asian judge - Feb 08, 2010
- Sale of Amritsar kirpans on the rise - Jan 13, 2010
- Sikhs allowed to wear kirpan at Olympic venues - Oct 16, 2009
- Sikh community speaks out against Quebec kirpan ban - Feb 10, 2011
- European Parliament asks Nepal to let Tibetan refugees vote - Apr 09, 2011
- California passes bill on Sikh symbol kirpan - Jun 03, 2009
- Now, Sikhs accuse BBC's Asian network of religious bias - Aug 20, 2009
- EU voices concern over religious freedom in Pakistan - May 21, 2010