Entrance Tests for professional courses in Puducherry scrappedApril 4th, 2008 - 5:40 pm ICT by admin
Puducherry, Apr 4 (ANI): The Puducherry Government has scrapped Common Entrance Test (CET) for students seeking admission to various professional courses from this academic year.
The State Education Minister M O H F Shahjahan announced the decision in the State Assembly after a debate on a call attention motion tabled by legislators of various parties.
The members demanded abolition of CET and restoration of status quo ante on the matter, while claiming that there were protests against it from parents, students, political parties and other organisations.
The call attention motion was tabled by A. Anbalagan of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK), S. P. Sivakumar of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) and R.K.R. Anandaraman of Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK).
The Tamil Nadu Government had already discontinued the system and was admitting students on the basis of marks in the qualifying examinations.
The CET was introduced in 1992 for various professional courses in Puducherry.
Members across various political parties unanimously pleaded for immediate abolition of CET and said that the Government should emulate the system prevailing in Tamil Nadu on admissions to professional courses as Puducherry adopted the neighbouring states Board Education pattern and syllabus for plus-two courses. (ANI)
- Final tally for Tamil Nadu elections - May 14, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Election Commission acting against DMK, alleges Alagiri - Apr 18, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Raja's brother arrested for 'bribing' voters - Apr 11, 2011
- Karunanidhi disappointed with Tamil Nadu election schedule - Mar 02, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killings - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: abolition, academic year, aiadmk, board education, common entrance test, dmk, dravida munnetra kazhagam, education minister, education pattern, entrance tests, legislators, neighbouring states, political parties, professional courses, shahjahan, sivakumar, state assembly, state education, states board, tamil nadu government