Enhanced Nokia equity fund to target India, ChinaAugust 6th, 2008 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 6 (IANS) Nokia Growth Partners, a global equity fund set up by the Finnish telecom giant, has decided to invest an additional $150 million and this time for financial support to enterprises focused on India and China. “Building on a track record of successful investments, Nokia Growth Partners, launched in 2004, will now establish direct operations in India and China and augment investment activity in the US and Europe,” the company said.
“With the additional investment, Nokia Growth Partners will continue pursuing investments that are of strategic relevance to Nokia, and or complementary to their strategy,” it added.
Nokia began sponsoring funds and promoting venture investments in 1998 to act as catalysts for innovation in the mobile telecom industry. Nokia’s venture funding activities to date exceed $900 million.
Target investments include companies creating innovative mobile applications and services in areas such as payments, advertising, music and entertainment and other related services and software.
Bangalore-based Sasken Communication Technologies, which offers a combination of wireless software products and services to leading semiconductor manufacturers, has been a recipient of Nokia’s funding in the past.
During the past year, Nokia also invested in some funds like BlueRun Ventures, Founders Fund, Gobi Partners, Magma Venture Partners, Oak Hill Capital Partners and Technology Crossover Ventures.
“Our funds are structured to reinforce the primary responsibility of any fund manager: To deliver superior return on investment,” said Rick Simonson, the executive vice president and chief financial officer for Nokia.
“This increase of our commitment to Nokia Growth Partners is aligned with our strategic focus on consumer Internet services, reflecting the increased role that Nokia Growth Partners will play in our future success.”
- Nokia to reduce worldwide workforce by 4,000 - Apr 27, 2011
- P. Balaji new Nokia India vice president, managing director - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Nokia regaining lost ground in handset market' - Jun 07, 2012
- US venture fund invests $15 million in Indian IT firm - Feb 15, 2012
- HCL to provide IT services to Etisalat customers - May 09, 2011
- Intel Capital invests $200 million in six Indian firms - Sep 30, 2011
- CA, Mahindra set up joint research centre - Apr 24, 2012
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 07, 2012
- Wipro leading IT service provider in Saudi Arabia - Dec 05, 2011
- Bangalore IT trade fair to focus on innovation - Oct 04, 2011
- Indian Angel Network to invest Rs.3.25 crore in Peel-Works - Jan 27, 2012
- Finnish business delegation to visit India October - Sep 20, 2011
- Nokia to fund four Indian software developers - Dec 07, 2009
- Is Microsoft buying Nokia? - Jun 07, 2012
- Nokia E7 touch-and-type phone launched in India - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: advertising music, bluerun ventures, china building, china new york, consumer internet services, founders fund, global equity fund, gobi partners, growth partners, india china, investment activity, mobile telecom, oak hill capital partners, rick simonson, semiconductor manufacturers, target investments, technology crossover ventures, telecom giant, telecom industry, venture investments