England, Wales to introduce mobile scanner in jailsDecember 22nd, 2007 - 5:21 pm ICT by admin
London, Dec 22 (ANI): All jails in England and Wales would soon have electronic scanners to check the smuggling of illegal mobile phones and detect metal weapons hidden inside peoples bodies.
UK Prisons Minister David Hanson has said that he is trying to find out ways to introduce body-orifice security scanners at a cost of 6,500 pounds per equipment to curb mobile phones from being smuggled into jails.
According to The Times, if a person sits on the boss scanner its red lights would turn on if a metal object is detected and it can even detects a mobile phone hidden up someones bottom. In such instances, a second scan is carried out with a hand-held detector.
The Governor of Woodhill Jail in Milton Keynes, Luke Sergeant, said that two Boss chairs had helped in detecting 21 mobile phones since April.
Sergeant went on to say that mobiles could be used to intimidate witnesses or contact drug runners. Drugs had recently been found at the jail with a value of 5,000 pounds. (ANI)
- Brit jails to introduce bottom scanners to stop mobile phone smuggling - Feb 02, 2009
- Indian-origin lawyer who smuggled drugs into prisons faces jail - Mar 07, 2012
- Lithuanian charged with Indian's murder commits suicide - Jan 31, 2012
- US Sikhs decry turban screening at airports - Nov 07, 2010
- Detroit terror attack hesitation over x-ray scanners risking lives - Dec 31, 2009
- EU adopts new rules on airport body scanners - Nov 15, 2011
- Briton makes hit-list of 1,000 girls for sex - May 19, 2012
- Brit docs fail to save dying patient, despite texted photos of condition - Jul 31, 2010
- Bye-bye sniffer dogs! Now, trained mice to sniff out terrorists at airports! - Feb 03, 2011
- Jeff Buske Creates Underwear to Block TSA Scanners - Nov 23, 2010
- Trials of full-body scanners at Delhi airport from May - Feb 03, 2010
- Pretty lawyers set Belgian jail alarm bells ringing - Sep 10, 2010
- Belgian prison guards force female lawyers to remove bras - Sep 10, 2010
- Baby dies after sitters injects him with drugs - Jul 07, 2012
- Chinese school uses metal detectors to bar mobile phones - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: boss, chairs, david hanson, drug runners, drugs, electronic scanners, england and wales, england wales, instances, jails, london, metal weapons, milton keynes, minister david, mobile phone, mobile phones, mobile scanner, security scanners, sergeant, uk prisons