England players slam ECB chief for curbs on joining IPLApril 8th, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
London, April 8 (IANS) Kevin Pietersen and other leading English players are on a collision course with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) over their desire play in the multi-million dollar Indian Premier League (IPL) Sean Morris, the chief executive of the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA), has accused ECB Chairman Giles Clarke for his hardliner stance against IPL.
“I don’t see it as a sensible tactic. When the players get frustrated and unhappy, they are given an alternative. You cannot fight the marketplace. We should look to capitalise and develop, not be King Canute,” Morris was quoted as saying in ‘The Times’.
Clarke had said that participation in the IPL would be a risk too far before the 2009 Ashes.
Pietersen described Clarke’s comments ridiculous, as England-contracted players would be unable to participate in the IPL unless they are given a ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) from the ECB.
Lorgat indicates change in FTP for IPL
Cape Town: Newly appointed International Cricket Council’s (ICC) chief executive Haroon Lorgat said the addition of Twenty20 - and particularly the Indian Premier League - to the domestic and international calendar could prompt an overhaul of the Future Tours Program (FTP).
“With the successful introduction of Twenty20 to the calendar, there is more cricket to be played, and as a result, the time could come where workloads have to be managed,” Lorgat was quoted as saying in ‘The Age’.
“IPL is something that is exciting and can be used to enhance and grow the game around the globe … I think all three forms of the game are sustainable. It’s just about finding the right balance.”
Rajput confident of Tendulkar playing in IPL
Mumbai: The Indian Premier League’s Mumbai Indians team is optimistic that their captain Sachin Tendulkar would regain fitness for the Twenty20 tournament beginning April 18.
“Sachin is a player who does not like to miss any games. I am sure the physio will take care of him and he will be all right in time for the IPL,” Mumbai Indians coach Lalchand Rajput said.
Tendulkar missed the second Test between India and South Africa at Ahmedabad due to a groin injury and is out of the Kanpur tie as well.
Rajput, however, refused to confirm whether Tendulkar with Sri Lankan Sanath Jayasuriya would open the innings for the IPL team.
“There are four to five options that we have. We will look at the opposition team and wicket before deciding the openers for a match,” he said.
County season can counter IPL threat: Sussex captain
London: The IPL is threatening to take the shine off the English domestic calendar but Sussex captain Chris Adams is confident that it can withstand the pressure of the cash-rich T20 competition.
Adams says the new domestic cricket season will be as competitive and exciting as anything on offer in IPL,
“The fantastic thing about domestic cricket is that we cover everything in one season. Purists who prefer the longer game have the County Championship. The Friends Provident Trophy and the Nat west Pro40 cover the one-day game.
“And we have Twenty20 cricket thrown into the mix as well, which has obviously been a massive success - I think there is something there for cricket fans and even some non-cricket fans.
“I can understand the appeal of something like the IPL but there is still a great deal of enjoyment to be had out of a county cricket and last year in the Championship was a great example of that.
Tags: collision course, cricketers, curbs, ecb, england and wales cricket board, england players, future tours, giles clarke, international calendar, international cricket council, kevin pietersen, king canute, noc, objection certificate, pca, premier league, professional cricketers association, program ftp, twenty20, wales cricket board