England must work Ponting over to win Ashes: Vivian RichardsOctober 22nd, 2010 - 5:25 pm ICT by ANI
Antigua (West Indies), Oct. 22 (ANI): England would need to target and work Australian cricket team captain Ricky Ponting over if they hope to retain The Ashes Down Under, said former West Indian great Sir Vivian Richards.
Describing Australia’s prowess on the cricket field as exaggerated, Richards said that while Australia are not trapped in the same downward spiral as the West Indies team of the mid-1970s; England would have to be at their best to retain the Ashes.
“It is a tough, tough place to play, and they have always produced tough cricketers. One of the secrets of playing against Australia is working the captain over. It’s like the Red Indians. They knew that if you killed the chief, you killed the spirit. When I captained the West Indies we tried to do that to every captain we played against, but particularly Allan Border,” Fox Sports quoted Richards, as saying.
“Malcolm Marshall had a plan for him, bowling a little short, and getting him to pop it up with a guy in his back pocket. Ricky Ponting is similar, a good batsman and a hard character, but maybe more than ever now that Australia have lost so many great players, like [Shane] Warne and [Glenn] McGrath, England need to target Ponting,” he added.Richards was speaking at the Cedar Valley Golf Club in Antigua. (ANI)
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur - May 01, 2012
- Gabba curse awaiting visiting England team for Ashes opener - Nov 20, 2010
- Sachin, Sehwag, Kapil in ODI dream team - Jan 05, 2011
- McGrath backs Ponting to lead Australia to an Ashes victory - Nov 07, 2010
- Collingwood backs England to overhaul 'Gabba curse' during Ashes opener - Nov 21, 2010
- McGrath has most World Cup records (Statistics, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
- Australia will bounce back and win Ashes, says McGrath - Nov 07, 2010
- I will welcome responsibility of captaining Australia: Watson - Jan 30, 2011
- Roebuck urges Ponting to move to No.5 in batting order to prolong Test career - Dec 30, 2010
- Only Ponting can beat Tendulkar's unreachable record: McGrath - Jan 01, 2011
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Richards lambasts WICB for its handling of Gayle issue - Dec 16, 2011
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Australia lack firepower to reclaim Ashes: Holding - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: allan border, antigua west indies, australian cricket team, batsman, cedar valley golf club, cricket field, downward spiral, fox sports, glenn mcgrath, malcolm marshall, mid 1970s, prowess, red indians, ricky, shane warne, sir vivian richards, spirit, team captain, valley golf club, west indies team