Endeavour astronauts complete second spacewalk (Lead)November 21st, 2008 - 9:25 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 21 (DPA) Astronauts from the space shuttle Endeavour Thursday completed a second spacewalk on their construction mission to the International Space Station, which was marking its 10th anniversary.Heide Stefanyshyn-Piper und Shane Kimbrough completed the second spacewalk at 00:43 GMT. The spacewalk lasted 6 hours and 45 minutes, and started 45 minutes ahead of schedule.
They moved equipment carts to allow astronauts to later install a truss, and lubricated the hand on the station’s robotic arm and the joint on one of the solar panels that provides power to the ISS.
Most of the mission’s four spacewalks will be devoted to getting the joint in order. It has been defective for more than a year.
The Endeavour arrived at the ISS Sunday on a 15-day “home improvement” mission. It delivered 6,538 kg of supplies and equipment to upgrade the space station’s living space and prepare it for more residents on longer-term assignments, after the retirement in 2010 of the US fleet of aging reusable orbiters.
- Endeavour astronauts begin second spacewalk - Nov 21, 2008
- Sunita Williams completes spacewalk outside ISS - Aug 31, 2012
- ISS astronauts take second spacewalk - Sep 06, 2012
- Astronauts use toothbrush to fix space station - Sep 06, 2012
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- Russian cosmonauts take a six-hour spacewalk - Feb 17, 2012
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Private spacecraft to make second supply run to ISS - Aug 24, 2012
- Spacewalkers outfit new space station room - Feb 14, 2010
- Atlantis starts home journey - May 23, 2010
- Italy to launch woman astronaut in 2014 - Jul 04, 2012
- Russian space agency names next crew to ISS - Oct 25, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Sunita Williams arrives at her new home in space - Jul 17, 2012