End of an era for bull-fighting in Spain’s CataloniaSeptember 26th, 2011 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 26 (IANS) The age-old tradition of bull-fighting came to an end in Spain’s Catalonia region with a final show held Sunday in Barcelona, BBC reported.
Lawmakers in Catalonia — Spain’s northeastern region — voted in 2010 for the ban, the first in Spain, after 180,000 people signed a petition.
They said bull-fighting was “barbaric”. Opponents, however, say they will challenge the ban in court.
The ban takes effect Jan 1, 2012, but Sunday’s fights in Catalonia were expected to be the last events of the 2011 season.
Tickets for the historic bull-fights sold out at record speed. They have been sold on the black market for up to five times the original value, BBC said.
Large crowds, however, have been rare in the Barcelona bull-ring for some time, and this dwindling support has been one reason the regional parliament voted in favour of banning the act.
There has also been a growing awareness of animal rights and, the desire of Catalan people to “distinguish the region” from the rest of Spain.
Bull-fighting is permitted in all other regions of Spain except in the Canary Islands.
Campaigners hope to extend the ban across the country, but they face a far tougher task in traditional bull-fighting heartlands like Andalucia and Madrid.
Many people there dismiss all talk of cruelty and say that bull-fighting is an age-old art form that must be protected and preserved, the report said.
- Spain's Catalonia approves bullfight ban - Jul 29, 2010
- Catalonia Parliament Bans Bullfighting in Landmark Spain Vote - Jul 29, 2010
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara' asked to remove cruelty to bulls scenes - Oct 31, 2010
- Dalai Lama supports ban on bullfighting in Spain - Feb 19, 2010
- Jet Airways criticised for 'encouraging' animal abuse - Oct 12, 2010
- Hindus laud Catalonia on bullfighting ban - Jul 30, 2010
- Spanish activists target `fire bulls' after bullfight ban - Aug 21, 2010
- Hindus want bullfighting ban in France - Oct 31, 2010
- Bullfighting draws thousands to Himachal fair - Sep 16, 2010
- Mexico City mulls bullfighting ban - Mar 24, 2012
- PETA objects to bullfight scene in upcoming movie - Jul 07, 2010
- Raging Bull Injures 40 People In Spain - Aug 20, 2010
- Catalans march in Barcelona to advocate support for Madrid - Sep 12, 2012
- African immigrant girls face sexual mutilation threat - Feb 06, 2012
- Mexican senators keen to ban bullfights - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: andalucia, animal rights, art form, bbc, bull fighting in spain, campaigners, canary islands, catalonia region, catalonia spain, favour, heartlands, large crowds, lawmakers, northeastern region, old art, record speed, regional parliament, regions of spain, season tickets, spain bull fighting