Empire State building shines green for EidSeptember 30th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 30 (IANS) For the second year, the Empire State Building here is shining its world-famous tower lights in green Sep 30 and Oct 1 for its annual celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr, the holiday that culminates the Ramadan month of fasting.The green lighting for Eid has now become an annual event in the same tradition of the Empire State Building’s yearly lightings for Christmas and Jewish Hanukah.
The Empire State Building’s tower lights are world renowned for celebrating different nationalities, holidays, parades, and events of importance to the world. For instance, in the run-up to Beijing Olympics, the building shone the tri-colours of India’s flag Aug 8, as well as the colours of other participating countries.
Eid-ul-Fitr is Muslims’ most widely celebrated holiday. It is joyous celebration for them throughout the world. It marks the completion of a month of intense spiritual renewal and is a time for Muslims to celebrate with family and friends, exchange gifts, and to help those in need. In Islam, the colour green symbolises joy and the importance of nature.
Soaring 1,454 feet above midtown Manhattan, the Empire State Building is the “World’s Most Famous Office Building.”
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Kerala - Aug 19, 2012
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Clinton greets India on Eid-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Lok Sabha speaker greets people on Eid-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Dikshit greets people on Eid eve - Sep 10, 2010
- PM visits Ansari, greets him on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Iranian leader asks Muslims to remain vigilant - Aug 19, 2012