Emma pips Emily to become Top Baby Name for Girls in USMay 9th, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
New York, May 9 (ANI): Emma has been the voted the top baby name for girls in the United States.
According to the Social Security Administration, Emma replaced Emily from its 12-year reign and became the country’s new favourite for a girl’s name.
Emma first entered the top 10 in 2002, the same year when Jennifer Aniston’s character Rachel in Friends gave her little girl the name.
“I think Emma, with the whole ‘Friends’ thing, may be on the way down. It may have run its course,” the New York Daily News quoted upper West Side mum Jaclyn Pawlowski, 29, as saying.
“I think a lot of people would say Emma and Emily are pretty names, but they are really common,” Jaclyn added.
Other names that ran in the favourite among the top girls’ names were Isabella, Madison and Ava.
Meanwhile, Jacob remained the country’s most popular name for a boy for the 10th year in a row.
But results in New York showed Michael as the top boy name while Isabella was the much-loved choice for girls.
A Social Security Administration spokeswoman said rankings in the official statewide popular names for 2008 could change since they were slated to be released not until May 12. (ANI)
- Isabella, Jacob most popular baby names for 2009 - May 08, 2010
- Top Baby Names list is topped by Jacob and Isabella - May 07, 2010
- Names Of The Characters Of 'Twilight' Become Popular Baby Names - May 10, 2010
- 'Twilight' characters most popular baby names - May 09, 2010
- Parents Draw Inspiration From "Twilight" For Naming Their Babies - May 10, 2010
- Kate Hudson's 'Something Borrowed' to release May 27 - May 01, 2011
- 'Twilight' Character Names Become Popular Baby Names - May 11, 2010
- Today''s baby names nothing like the popular 50s and 60s'' ones - Jul 09, 2008
- Isabella, Jayden most popular baby names in New York - Aug 30, 2012
- Brit parents going for conservative baby-names - Jul 12, 2010
- Kids named 'Beth' and 'Josh' top naughty list - Dec 05, 2010
- Twitter, Facebook have greater impact on girls than boys - May 20, 2010
- House where JFK had affair with Monroe now on sale - Apr 29, 2012
- 20pc parents regret the names they chose for their babies - May 13, 2010
- Hepburn's hairstyle named most influential ever - May 24, 2011
Tags: ava, baby name, emma, girls names, isabella, jacob, jennifer aniston, little girl, new york daily news, pawlowski, pips, social security, social security administration, spokeswoman, top girls, united states, upper west side, york daily news