Emirates airline spreading wings in IndiaNovember 3rd, 2008 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Nov 3 (IANS) The United Arab Emirates’ (UAE) national airline Emirates is embarking on a major expansion drive in India this winter with the addition of 31 flights a week.With this, the airline’s reputation as the largest international carrier to operate in India will be reaffirmed as the number of weekly flights to 10 destinations in India will touch 163, the official Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
“Owing to the liberalisation of the Indian skies and growing demand for air travel, Emirates is extending its presence in India,” Salem Obaidalla, Dubai-based airline’s senior vice-president for commercial operations in West Asia, Indian Ocean and Africa, was quoted as saying.
“Our winter expansion - the single largest growth in our operations - closely follows the extension of services in the summer of this year, and represents our commitment to the market and our confidence in its potential,” he said.
The expansion will be implemented in a phased manner and the key cities of Mumbai and New Delhi will be the main beneficiaries.
Other important commercial hubs, including Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kochi, will also be served with additional flights.
“The additional frequencies have been timed to offer passengers more consistent schedules and seamless connections to onward points in Europe, the Americas, Africa and the Middle East,” Obaidalla said.
The UAE is home to around 1.5 million expatriate Indians.
- Mumbai, Delhi to gain from Emirates' major India expansion (Lead) - Nov 03, 2008
- Emirates makes key changes in India management team - Aug 01, 2012
- Emirates to launch first airbus A380 services to China - Mar 02, 2010
- flydubai announces flights to Ahmedabad - Aug 08, 2011
- UAE envoy favours more direct flights to India - Jun 15, 2011
- Boeing, Emirates announce $18-bn order for 50 777-300ERs - Nov 13, 2011
- Emirates to start two more flights to Mauritius - Sep 15, 2011
- Emirates Airlines to launch new flight to Washington - Mar 18, 2012
- Emirates launches A-380 flights to Malaysia - Jan 02, 2012
- Emirates arrives in Iraq - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian aviation will overcome crisis, says Emirates official - Mar 28, 2012
- Abu Dhabi airport to handle more flights in summer - May 02, 2011
- Flydubai starts flights to Lucknow to tap expat traffic (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Flydubai launches flights to Hyderabad - May 16, 2011
- UAE signs open skies pact with Djibouti - Feb 11, 2011