Emergency in Pakistan: News channels, phones go off(Second lead: Pak emergency)November 14th, 2007 - 8:22 am ICT by admin
Private Television news channels have been blacked out from most of the city, and the troops have taken control of all the state run media and TV stations.
Mobile phones and telephone landlines are not working in various cities, according to reports.
Cable TV news providers in Islamabad confirmed that the authorities were blocking transmissions of private news channels in Islamabad, the Dawn reported.
Earlier, martial law was imposed in Pakistan once again in the country’s sixtieth year of its formation.
The state-run television PTV announced that President Pervez Musharraf has issued a provisional constitutional order, declaring emergency in the country.
Musharraf, who is expected to address the nation tonight, earlier attended a high level meeting with his top aides where the decision to impose emergency was taken up.
The imposition comes amidst growing rise of extremists and militants in the country, particularly in its tribal region, and the political turmoil gripping the country.
The Supreme Court was expected to deliver its verdict on the validity of Musharraf’s presidential candidature in the October 6 presidential polls.
Many analysts had predicted that fear of an unfavourable verdict from the apex court might trigger Musharraf to declare emergency, a decision not finding favour from the US. (ANI)
- No Indian shows, so Pakistanis shun official TV channel - Dec 20, 2011
- Musharraf imposes emergency in Pakistan(First lead: Pak emergeny) - Nov 14, 2007
- Two foreign channels for kids get Pakistan's nod - Aug 02, 2011
- Pakistan to have TV channel to counter Taliban propaganda - Aug 12, 2011
- Shoes thrown at Zardari: Pakistani media battles government - Aug 12, 2010
- Zardari to abide by Supreme Court's verdict against Musharraf - Jul 23, 2009
- Pakistani artists to get awards during their lifetime - Jul 25, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court summons Musharraf - Jul 22, 2009
- Musharraf's launch of party draws hostile response - Oct 02, 2010
- Musharraf 'shedding crocodile tears', says ex- Pak SCBA chief - Sep 19, 2009
- Contempt of court petition filed against Musharraf - Sep 02, 2009
- Egypt Supreme Court calls for parliament's dissolution - Jun 14, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani PM urged to implement apex court's NRO verdict - Jun 27, 2012
- Musharraf says Sharif will not seek his trial - Sep 14, 2009
Tags: apex court, emergency troops, islamabad, martial law, news channels, pakistan news, political turmoil, president pervez musharraf, presidential polls, private news, private television, ptv, supreme court, taken control, verdict