Emergency in Pak will divert Musharraf from curbing extremism: SchafferNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:32 am ICT by admin
“The next eight or nine refer to judicial decisions which Musharraf believes ‘interfere’ in the government, but which to me and many Americans appear to be a legitimate (though sometimes inept) exercise in judicial independence. Clearly, Musharraf’s move was designed above all to remove this alternative centre of authority,” she added.
Questioning Musharraf’s further actions, Schaffer said, “The government’s preoccupation will be to smack down protests and to eliminate the possibility that alternative centres of authority or even information will emerge.”
“The real danger is that the government will give a lesser priority to the very necessary work of asserting state authority against the extremists who are breaking the law by attacking army bases and launching suicide bombings,” the Daily Times quoted her, as saying.
The state of emergency will ensure that whatever Musharraf and the army do against extremist in the troubled Swat region or any other part of Pakistan will be done without the support of other elements on the political scene -support that the government could have had, if it had conducted itself differently, she opined.
Earlier, terming the proclamation of emergency as “a big embarrassment” for the Bush Administration, Schaffer had said that she would be surprised to see Musahrraf lasting in office even for six months. (ANI)
- World Bank calls for more trade within South Asia - Apr 20, 2012
- US has attained little success in changing Pak's attitude towards India: US Expert - Jul 31, 2009
- 'Keeping India out, far greater Pak priority than supporting US' Afghan goals' - Jul 16, 2010
- India-US ties have lost momentum: US experts - Dec 28, 2011
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- US, Pakistan relationship at its lowest ebb: Musharraf - Jan 15, 2012
- I will be surprised if Musharraf lasts even six months: Schaffer - Nov 14, 2007
- Musharraf should be put on trial for October 1999 coup: Kaira - Nov 04, 2010
- Zardari has immunuity as president, Gilani tells Supreme Court (Night Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif "in bed with anti-Pakistan elements": Musharraf - Feb 08, 2011
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Changes needed in Sri Lanka to ensure harmony between communties: US expert - Jan 31, 2009
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Need to involve Pakistan Army in resolving Indo-Pak dispute: Schaffer - Jan 31, 2009
- US presses Pakistan to stop India infiltration, try 26/11 suspects - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: army bases, breaking the law, curbing, embarrassment, inept, judicial decisions, judicial independence, mortal danger, musharraf, opined, pakistan, political scene, proclamation, schaffer, smack down, south asia program, state of emergency, suicide bombings, violent extremism, will ensure that