Emergency in Pak reveals Faustian nature of Bush-Mush bargain: NYTNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:35 am ICT by admin
By imposing martial law, Musharraf has underscored the failure of President Bush’s policy toward a key ally in the war on terrorism.
“This is what you get when policy is centered slavishly on a single, autocratic ruler rather than more broadly on his country,” says the NYT editorial.
The paper further goes on to say that Bush seems to have gained little leverage from the more than 10 billion dollars in American aid that has fattened Pakistan’s coffers since September 11, 2001, much of it unaccounted for.
While it says that it is encouraging to see Pakistani lawyers openly challenge the legitimacy of Musharraf’s emergency degree, the NYT says the fact remains that Washington is increasingly left with bad options.
“Cutting off aid would only make it harder to enlist Pakistan’s military in the anti-extremist fight and renew doubts about America’s reliability as an ally. The United States should at least condition that money on Pakistan’s performance in the anti-terrorism fight, on some form of accountability and on shifting more of it toward building political parties, courts and schools. It should also consider discussions with India, Iran, China and Saudi Arabia on how to prevent further instability in Pakistan,” the editorial opines.
Ultimately, democracy, not dictatorship, is the best hope for a stable Pakistan, it concludes. (ANI)
- A last tango between Washington and Islamabad? (Comment) - Dec 27, 2011
- Time to reflect on Pakistan's jihad enterprise: daily - May 12, 2011
- Pakistan's 'deep state' will remain abiding challenge for India (Comment) - Jul 12, 2012
- Being arrogant will not help US: Pakistani daily - Feb 14, 2011
- Egypt: test of US policy of supporting dictators - Feb 12, 2011
- Afghanistan a proxy war between India, Pakistan: Musharraf - Oct 07, 2011
- Kayani "most powerful man in Pakistan" despite civilian govt's presence: Pak editorial - Dec 02, 2010
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Urdu media doubts US claims on Osama killing - May 03, 2011
- Post bin Laden death, keeping a straight face about Pak will be difficult for US, others - May 03, 2011
- Why is a billion-strong democracy silent on Egypt? (Comment) - Feb 04, 2011
- Democrats to continue long-term strategic partnership with India - Sep 05, 2012
- Pak nuke build-up has US anxious and worried: NYT editorial - Feb 22, 2011
- Pakistan court declares Musharraf 'proclaimed offender' - May 30, 2011
- Musharraf warrant valid till compliance: Pakistan to Interpol - May 21, 2012
Tags: ally, autocratic ruler, billion dollars, civilian government, coffers, cutting off, declared goal, democracy, dictatorship, emergency degree, general musharraf, government rule, martial law, mush, new york times, nyt, pakistan, president bush, september 11 2001, terrorism fight