Emergency has strengthened Benazir’s position: Najam SethiNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
He ruled out the impression that Musharraf had imposed the emergency after receiving a green signal from the West, saying Western countries had been oblivious to Musharraf’s emergency plans.
“The West is in fact disturbed, and it wants Musharraf to fulfil the promises that he had made earlier about holding free and fair elections and doffing his uniform before taking oath as President,” Sethi added.
He said that the new PCO, rather than the emergency, was the real issue, adding that only the next Parliament could annul the PCO.
Sethi said Musharraf should hold free and fair elections as soon as possible since the only way left for him to get out of the present crisis was transparently conducted elections.
He said Musharraf would be isolated and would not last if he delayed the polls.
The situation would not have been the same had Musharraf resorted to an amendment through the Parliament with the support of Bhutto and opposition leader Fazlur Rehman, Sethi said. (ANI)
- Independent Election Commission sought in Pakistan - Jan 08, 2012
- Pakistani leaders seeking consensus on early polls - Jan 26, 2012
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Pakistani PM vows supremacy of parliament - Jun 23, 2012
- Pak SC approached to 'hang' Musharraf for subversion of Constitution - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistan court declares Musharraf 'proclaimed offender' - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan to tap Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Feb 25, 2012
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Musharraf's launch of party draws hostile response - Oct 02, 2010
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Pakistan taps Interpol for Musharraf's arrest - Mar 01, 2012
- Keep away from Pakistan, daily tells Musharraf (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: annul, benazir, bhutto, disturbed, elections, emergency plans, footing, fulfil, geo tv, imposition, musharraf, najam sethi, negotiation table, oblivious, opposition leader, parliament, pco, rehman, western countries