Emergency a short-term arrangement, Pak Foreign Secretary tells envoysNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:28 am ICT by admin
The envoys were told that the emergency was proclaimed due to the increase in militant attacks and because of the “interference of the judiciary” in executive affairs, the Daily Times quoted sources, as saying.
“The Pakistan Government believes in the independence of the judiciary and it respects judges, but the attitude of some judges was reflecting a clash between democratic and administrative institutions of the state. The chief of army staff had to take this extreme step in such a situation,” Khan said.
Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Sadiq said Khan briefed all 87 foreign ambassadors and high commissioners in Pakistan about the latest political developments.
Replying to a question about the envoys’ response, Sadiq said, “Usually they listen passively and do not ask questions,” adding that the envoys didn’t comment on Musharraf’s decision to impose emergency.
President Pervez Musharraf clamped an emergency on Saturday after he came to know that Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary was all set to give a negative judgement on petitions challenging his candidature for the recently held presidential elections. (ANI)
- Strict action ordered against Pakistani chief justice's son, realtor - Jun 15, 2012
- Image of independent judiciary necessary for Pakistan, says Pakistan's Chief Justice - Feb 06, 2011
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
- Pak Supreme Court directs sitting PCO judges 'not to issue any judicial orders' - Feb 18, 2011
- Pakistan Chief Justice urged not to hear son's case - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistani daily lauds chief justice for not sparing son - Jun 08, 2012
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
- Nov 3, 2007 turning point for Pakistan's judiciary: Chief Justice - Feb 07, 2011
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- Few Pakistan high court judges denotified - Aug 08, 2011
- Lahore Court postpones hearing of petitions against Musharraf to Nov 1 - Oct 19, 2010
- Pakistan tycoon dares apex court chief justice - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan chief justice summons son over graft reports - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Chaudhary's sacking a mistake, I don't think I committed blunders,' says Musharraf - Sep 19, 2009
Tags: administrative institutions, army staff, chaudhary, chief justice, chief of army, extreme step, foreign ambassadors, high commissioners, judiciary, militant attacks, office spokesman, pakistan government, political developments, president pervez musharraf, presidential elections, sadiq, said khan, term arrangement