Embassies in Yemen reopen after closures over threats (Lead)

January 5th, 2010 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS  

Barack Obama Sana’a (Yemen), Jan 5 (DPA) The US embassy in this Yemeni capital reopened to the public Tuesday after a two-day closure prompted by threats from the regional branch of Al Qaeda, an embassy official said.
“The embassy reopened today and resumed its normal operation,” the source said on the condition of anonymity.

The British and French embassies also reopened Tuesday, but their consular sections remained closed to the public, diplomats said.

The US embassy had said earlier in a message posted on its website that it has closed “in response to ongoing threats by Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to attack American interests in Yemen.”

Al Qaeda’s arm in Yemen made headlines recently when it claimed responsibility for a Dec 25 attempt to blow up an airliner over the north-central US city of Detroit.

A Nigerian man allegedly tried to detonate explosives on board the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit but failed and was arrested.

US President Barack Obama Saturday confirmed that Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula appeared to have trained, equipped and ordered Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, to attack the US-bound plane.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe