Embassies evacuated in smoke-covered MoscowAugust 7th, 2010 - 8:07 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 7 (IANS) The Canadian and Polish embassies have started evacuating their family members from Moscow as thick smoke from wildfires blanketed almost the entire city.
The embassies started the evacuation Friday after Russia’s Surgeon General advised those who can to leave the city, Xinhua reported citing the Business Special Report Russia magazine.
A top environment agency in Moscow said the air quality was so bad that “walking outside without a mask is equivalent to smoking two packets of cigarettes a day”.
“Air quality has been deteriorating, conditions unfavourable for atmospheric dispersion,” the Moscow Nature Utilisation and Environmental Protection Department said.
The situation could get worse as fires broke out in Bryansk, some 350 km southwest of Moscow on the Ukrainian border, which was earlier affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986.
Sergei Shoigu, head of the emergency ministry, warned Friday that if fires spread in the region, they could lift radioactive elements that exist in the soil into the air and contaminate other regions.
- Russian wildfires reach nuclear disaster zone - Aug 12, 2010
- Fires at Russian radioactive sites confirmed - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia to build new satellite-making plant - Aug 22, 2012
- Ukraine denies Chernobyl fire reports - Aug 14, 2010
- Medvedev says Russia's fire situation 'still tense' - Aug 12, 2010
- Wildfire near US nuclear laboratory spreads - Jun 30, 2011
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- Two-headed pig born in Russia - Jul 26, 2012
- Japan upgrades nuke emergency to highest level 7, says disaster as bad as Chernobyl - Apr 12, 2011
- Russians go for pills to fight radiation - Mar 17, 2011
- Libya on brink of civil war: Medvedev - Mar 04, 2011
- Russia to send mission to assess Sea of Japan nuclear contamination - Apr 16, 2011
- Japan raises Fukushima accident level to worst - Apr 12, 2011
- Sea water off Kukushima has high level of radioactive iodine - Mar 24, 2011
- Medvedev to propose blueprint for greater nuclear safety - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,