Elvis Presley’s short poem sells for $20,000March 29th, 2009 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 29 (IANS) A short poem written by rock and roll legend Elvis Presley about a dead bird has sold at an auction for a staggering $20,000 (14,000 pounds).
The King of Rock scrawled the rhyme on a piece of paper after apparently killing a robin that perched on his window ledge, reports contactmusic.com.
The note, written on his own stationary, reads, “As I awoke this morning when all sweet things are born, a robin perched on my window sill to greet the coming dawn. He sang his sweet song so sweetly and paused for a moment’s lull, I gently raised the window and crushed his ******* skull”.
The poem was part of an online sale of Elvis memorabilia, which closed March 26.
Other items sold in the auction included a jumpsuit he wore at a concert at New York’s Madison Square Garden, which went for $212,588.40 (148,663 pounds), and the typed lyrics for his song “Young and Beautiful”, which went under the hammer for $1,155.60 (791.50 pounds).
- Princess Diana's 'Fuschia Pink Evening Dress' fetches $205K - Oct 20, 2010
- Elvis Presley Immortalized Again,This Time As 'Mr. Potato Head' - Jun 10, 2010
- Elvis' bible sold - Sep 10, 2012
- Johnny Cash Jumpsuit Ropes In $50,000 At Auction - Dec 11, 2010
- Star spangled banner copy sells for $506,500 - Dec 06, 2010
- 16 injured as Mantralaya fire rages, all rescued (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Blagojevich Auction Held, Lifesize Elvis Sold As Campaign Fund Stops Paying Storage - Aug 21, 2010
- Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb dies of cancer - May 22, 2012
- Bob Dylan's handwritten lyrics fetch $422,500 at auction - Dec 12, 2010
- Teen falls to death from Australia bridge - Aug 29, 2011
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- Elvis Presley's memoirs to be up for grabs - Jul 26, 2010
- Painting bought as junk worth 40 mn pounds - Mar 25, 2011
- Elvis Presleys blue-and-gold jumpsuit up for grabs - Mar 17, 2009
- Indian artists join in creating Elvis Presley comic (With Images) - May 05, 2012
Tags: auction, dawn, dead bird, elvis memorabilia, elvis presley, hammer, king of rock, london march, lyrics, madison square garden, piece of paper, rhyme, rock and roll, roll legend, short poem, skull, sweet song, sweet things, window ledge, window sill