Elton John urges US to legalise gay marriagesNovember 13th, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 13 (IANS) English pop-rock singer, composer and pianist Sir Elton John wants the US to scrap the word “marriage” in a bid to overturn a ban on same-sex weddings.”David (Furnish, Canadian filmmaker) and I have a civil partnership in England. We have complete rights between the two of us and we’re protected completely,” John said at an AIDS Foundation event in New York, according to contactmusic.com.
“I think the word ‘marriage’ puts a lot of people off in this country. If they got over the word ‘marriage’, I think it would be a lot easier for gay people to get together,” he said.
Gay marriages were legalised in California May this year, but the legislation was reversed last week when the majority of voters backed Proposition 8, a bill to reintroduce the ban.
- Elton John lashes out at gay marriage opponents - Jan 21, 2011
- Gay Elton John 'fed up' with being treated like 'second-class citizen' in U.S. - Jan 24, 2011
- Marriage is only for a man and a woman: Julia Gillard - Mar 04, 2011
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Gay people should have equality in law: Radcliffe - Feb 10, 2012
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Gay judge overturns California's same-sex marriage ban - Aug 05, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Animator Seth MacFarlane Voices His Thoughts On Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- Gay laws: Britain may remove husband, wife terms - Mar 17, 2012