Eliot Spitzer was suicidal, reveals close confidant in new tell-allMarch 5th, 2010 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 5 (ANI): One of Eliot Spitzer’s closest confidants Lloyd Constantine has revealed that the ex-New York governor, whose administration crumbled in a prostitution scandal, had suicidal tendencies.
In his new tell-all book, titled ‘Journal of the Plague Year’, Constantine has claimed that Spitzer’s friends placed him on suicide watch - something long rumoured but never confirmed.
Constantine, Spitzer’s staff adviser, closely observed Spitzer in his last days as governor.
“I thought the moment Eliot ceased being governor would be a dangerous time for him to be alone,” the New York Daily News quoted Constantine as saying.
The 287-page book offers the most detailed account yet of Spitzer’s wrenching final days, but spills no beans on any lurid sex.
Constantine wrote that there’s desperate, late-night phone calls from Spitzer who, called him in tears on March 9, 2008, to confide that he was about to be outed as “Client 9,” a patron of a high-priced hooker named Ashley Dupre.
“I can’t continue as governor and must resign,” Spitzer said that night - three days before he actually did, wrote Constantine.
The book give details about how, for several days, Spitzer’s inner circle was divided over whether he should quit - with some, principally Constantine, advocating that instead he get treatment for sex addiction.
“Eliot asked me to estimate the plan’s chance of success,” wrote Constantine.
In fact, Constantine even called two residential programs for treating “sexual compulsion.” (ANI)
- Hooker who claims to have bedded Becks 'slept with Spitzer' - Sep 30, 2010
- Dupre 'sexcapades' dashed former NY Governor Spitzer's presidency dreams - Sep 21, 2009
- New flick reveals Eliot Spitzer's favorite hooker, and it's not Ashley Dupre - Nov 11, 2010
- Eliot Spitzer's madam Kristin Davis gets Hooker support for governor bid - Aug 21, 2010
- Former Madam Kristin Davis to run for New York state comptroller - Dec 17, 2009
- Ashley Dupre was just one of the prostitutes Eliot Spitzer bedded, says attorney - Jun 03, 2009
- Spitzer ordered three hookers in one day, claims book - Apr 15, 2010
- Spitzer 'to give ethics lecture' at Harvard! - Nov 12, 2009
- High-priced hooker's mum dismayed over ex-NY Guv Spitzer's comeback moves - Sep 02, 2009
- Spitzer breaks silence on Dupre scandal - Jan 30, 2010
- Eliot Spitzer should run for office again, says Ashley Dupre - Apr 23, 2010
- Ex-madam Kristin Davis to run for comptroller against Eliot Spitzer - Dec 16, 2009
- Ex-high class call girl in Spitzer-scandal to pen a tell-all book? - Dec 01, 2008
- Ashley Dupre weighs in on the Woods scandal - Dec 05, 2009
- 66 percent New Yorkers don't want Spitzer back in office - May 22, 2010
Tags: confidant, confidants, constantine, dangerous time, eliot spitzer, hooker, inner circle, journal of the plague year, last days, late night phone, new york daily news, prostitution, residential programs, sex addiction, sexual compulsion, staff adviser, suicidal tendencies, suicide watch, york daily news, york governor