Eleven suicide bombers active in Rawalpindi, IslamabadNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:08 am ICT by admin
“We have not been provided specific information or details but intelligence agencies say that a new group of six would-be suicide bombers - three men and three women - have entered Islamabad,” Senior Superintendent of the Islamabad police (SSP), Taimur Ali Khan, said.
Five other terrorists have already been in the twin cities since August when a group of 10 arrived to avenge the military assault on the Lal Masjid complex.
Five terrorists of the group carried out two suicide attacks in Rawalpindi and one in Sargodha and were subsequently arrested by the Islamabad Police.
The new group of six is believed to have arrived to avenge the current military operations against the pro-Taliban militants in the Swat Valley, Dawn reported.
Security has been beefed up around the government buildings and diplomatic missions in Islamabad as they were said to be the prime target of the suicide attackers.
Some of the foreign missions, including the Iraq Embassy, recently received threats from the terrorists.
SSP Khan quoted the intelligence agencies as saying that the six terrorists were affiliated with the local Taliban or al-Qaeda and that the police and security forces were also on their hit list.
The police is particularly watching bus stations, shopping centres, motels, sarais and seminaries in the urban and rural areas of the twin cities, Khan said.
The members of the group might have split and staying at different places, he added. (ANI)
- Eight suicide bombers in Islamabad: Rehman Malik - Jan 27, 2012
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Hold joint session of parliament on Karachi attack: PML-N - May 26, 2011
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Taliban, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi plan suicide attacks across Pakistan on Eid - Nov 13, 2010
- Bannu suicide bomber kills five including two policemen, scores injured - Nov 30, 2010
- 4 killed, 14 hurt in Karachi suicide attack (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Pak Army, ISI unwilling to take on Taliban despite being their direct target - Mar 09, 2011
- 640 Pakistanis died in 37 suicide attacks this year - Nov 29, 2010
- Terror bid foiled in Pakistan capital - Dec 28, 2011
- 68 dead, 80 hurt in twin suicide blasts in Pakistan (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Pak links India to Wednesday's Lahore attack despite Taliban acknowledgment - Sep 04, 2010
- Woman suicide bomber kills three in Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Three cops, 3 rebels killed in Peshawar suicide attack (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Eight die as militants open fire in Pakistan park (Lead) - May 06, 2011
Tags: bus stations, diplomatic missions, foreign missions, intelligence agencies, islamabad, military assault, president pervez musharraf, prime target, rawalpindi, received threats, sargodha, ssp, subsequently, suicide bombers, swat valley, taliban, terrorists, twin cities