Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the PhilippinesJune 8th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Cotabato City (Philippines), June 8 (DPA) At least 11 Muslim rebels were killed in the latest clashes between government troops and guerrillas in the southern Philippines, a regional army spokesman said Monday.
Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Ponce said troops also seized two Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) camps during Sunday’s fighting in Guindulungan and Talayan towns in Maguindanao province, 960 km south of Manila.
Ponce said four MILF rebels were slain when government troops overran a guerrilla camp in Guindulungan, while seven more were killed when troops seized another camp in Talayan.
“We continue to score victories in the quest to bring lasting peace in the region,” he said. “Despite heavy resistance by the MILF guerrillas, we overpowered them.”
Ponce said government troops conducted air strikes Sunday against MILF positions before ground troops started closing in on the camps.
At least 30 MILF rebels have been killed in clashes between the government troops and the guerrillas in Guindulungan that started Thursday.
The MILF has been fighting for an independent Islamic state in the southern region of Mindanao since 1978.
The 12,000-strong rebel group entered into peace talks with the Philippines government in 1997, but the negotiations have been suspended since August 2008 after rebels launched series of deadly attacks in Mindanao.
- 27 killed in fighting in the Philippines - Mar 28, 2009
- Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strike - Mar 02, 2009
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- Three rebel commanders killed in the Philippines - Jun 20, 2009
- Rebel commander captured in Philippines - Sep 23, 2009
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
- Three government anti-drug agents killed in Philippines - Apr 13, 2009
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- 100 Muslim rebels killed in Philippine offensive: Army - Aug 23, 2008
- Philippine Muslim rebels call for peace talks (Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Obama sends letter to Philippines Muslim rebel leader - Nov 14, 2009
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippine blast - Jul 07, 2009
Tags: army spokesman, colonel jonathan, cotabato city philippines, government troops, ground troops, guerrillas, islamic state, lasting peace, lieutenant colonel, maguindanao province, milf rebels, mindanao, moro islamic liberation, moro islamic liberation front, muslim rebels, peace talks, philippines government, rebel group, regional army, southern philippines