Elegant Freida Pinto will shine at Oscars: DesignersFebruary 20th, 2009 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) She has stunned style divas with her sartorial elegance at red carpet events and made it to Vogue’s best dressed list. And now “Slumdog Millionaire” star Freida Pinto is sure to make a splash at the Oscars, say Indian designers.
The 24-year-old from Mumbai is not only pretty but also exudes the confidence to carry off whatever she wears, the designers say, even though some wish she would go for Indian attire at international events.
“She has a great body with an attractive face. She pulls off everything very well. She carries herself with poise and knows what to wear and when,” said designer Alpana of the label Azara.
British filmmaker Danny Boyle’s “Slumdog Millionaire”, a rags-to-riches set in India, has 10 Oscar nominations. While many Indians are keeping their fingers crossed for the film at the Feb 22 ceremony, they are also hoping that Freida will hold her own among the galaxy of stars at the Academy Awards.
At the Golden Globes, BAFTA, Elle style awards and others, she has opted for top-of-the-line dresses from Christian Lacroix, Oscar de la Renta, Zac Posen, Moschino and Marchesa.
“She is the new flavour of the season and is a very pretty girl. Whatever she has worn at these events prove a point - that she can carry any dress with style and confidence,” designer Atsu told IANS.
“At this point of time when she has become the cynosure of the media, every international designer wants to dress her up. After all, the Oscars is a major event where importance is given to what the stars are wearing. You just can’t go wrong here and I am sure that she will make us proud,” he added.
She has featured in Vogue’s 10 best dressed list, beating the likes of beautiful actresses like Anne Hathaway and Drew Barrymore.
Freida’s stylist, George Kotsiopoulos, says she is on the wish list of many designers and brands. Even designer Jemima Khan, ex-wife of Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan, has expressed a desire to dress up Pinto for the Oscars.
Freida has, however, received flak from some Indian designers for wearing only international designers and Western dresses at red carpet events.
“I am not against her wearing international designers but I wanted her to wear at least one Indian outfit at any of these events. It is really sad because she is an Indian first and it would have been great if she had worn something Indian like a sari,” designer Rahul of label Sarali said.
Others say it’s her choice and should be left at that.
“I do not understand why there is a fuss about her not wearing any Indian designer. She has an international stylist and the fact remains that the whole project is international with Indian stars in it. So they are doing what they think is good for her as well as for the movie,” designer Manav Gangwani told IANS.
“Everyone has an opinion and let us accept the fact that what she has done most of us can never achieve. So let’s celebrate the fact and cheer for her and the movie,” he added.
Rahul Khanna of the label Cue agrees with Gangwani and said: “At these red carpet events, you just can’t go wrong. The whole world is watching you and you want to wear the best and look great. If she is wearing international designer brands, it is her personal choice.”
- Freida doesn't shop at flea markets - Aug 28, 2011
- Freida Pinto dazzles on the red carpet of the premiere of 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' - Jul 29, 2011
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Freida Pinto doesn't fear fashion police - May 25, 2012
- Freida Pinto Drops Her "Lalita" Image In GQ Shoot - Sep 20, 2010
- Freida Pinto's love for Chanel - Aug 11, 2011
- Instant stardom on world stage, the Freida Pinto way - Mar 02, 2009
- 'Trishna' a very beautiful yet tragic tale: Freida Pinto (Interview) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- Freida Pinto gets new guardian angel - Mar 02, 2011
- I don't compare myself with Freida: Tena Desae (With image) - May 27, 2012
- Freida to skip Cannes festival - Apr 27, 2010
- Simpson launches prom dresses - Feb 13, 2011
- Freida to romance Christian Bale (With Image) - Jun 29, 2012
- We are just good friends: Freida Pinto - Feb 23, 2009
- Freida Pinto defends racy men's mag shoot - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: alpana, anne hathaway, atsu, beautiful actresses, best dressed list, british filmmaker, christian lacroix, cynosure, danny boyle, freida, galaxy of stars, golden globes, imran khan, indian attire, indian designers, oscar de la renta, oscar nominations, rags to riches, red carpet, zac posen