Elderly Sikh man succumbs to gun injuries following ‘hate attack’ in N. CaliforniaApril 16th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 16 (ANI): A 78-year-old Sikh man has succumbed to injuries over a month after he was shot in the Sacramento suburb of Elk Grove, which investigating officials in Northern California are viewing as a ‘hate crime’.
Gurmej Atwal had been on a ventilator and unable to talk since the March 4 shooting, but his son has confirmed that he had died on Friday, Fox News reports.
Atwal and his friend, Surinder Singh, were gunned down during an afternoon walk, killing Singh on the spot.
Police have said that they have no suspects and few clues, but added that the duo might have been targeted because of their turbans, which are often confused with Muslim headgear. (ANI)
- Reward offered in killing of two Sikhs in US - Apr 16, 2011
- US Muslim group offers reward in shooting of two Sikhs - Mar 07, 2011
- FBI joins probe into shooting of Sikhs in US - Mar 08, 2011
- American Sikh Day celebrated at California Capitol - Apr 14, 2011
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
- US sleuth links gurdwara shooting with Sikh murders - Aug 18, 2012
- Ensure safety of Sikhs abroad, Sukbhir Badal tells PM - Mar 07, 2011
- Gurdwara shooter motivated by hate: Romney - Aug 08, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Two plead guilty to attack on Sikh taxi driver in US - Mar 09, 2011
- Bars cannot discriminate against Sikhs, Muslims in California - Sep 10, 2012
- California law bars discrimination against Sikhs, Muslims (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Was the gurdwara shooter a white supremacist? (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US (Lead, correcting para six) - Aug 06, 2012