Elderly father dies while saving drowning daughterJuly 16th, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) An elderly man in Britain died while trying to save his drowning teenaged daughter who clambered out to safety.
Michael Payne, 59 and a severe diabetic, noticed that his daughter Zoe was in danger as she and her sister swam with friends in the Thames river. Ignoring his frail health, he leapt into the water but was quickly overcome by the fast current, Daily Express reported.
The accident occurred Thursday evening as Zoe and her sister Marie, 14, were swimming with friends near Cookham Lock in Berkshire county, watched by their mother Sharon Clark and Payne.
Kerrin Smith, a fellow swimmer, who got into difficulties, narrated how Payne’s daughter Zoe initially jumped in to help her.
She said: “I got in trouble with the current and Zoe could see that I was struggling and jumped in to help me. She helped me out but started to get swept away in the current. That is when her Dad and two other lads jumped in to help her.
“They managed to pull her to the side but her Dad was still out there and we saw he was really struggling.”
Smith said Zoe was dragged out of the river by two friends as she saw her father sink beneath the surface.
- 22-yr-old Brit man arrested for 'trying to rape mum, gouging out her eyes' - Nov 15, 2010
- Gaga helps out dad for restaurant - Jan 27, 2012
- No recognition for Agra lifeguard who saved 50 lives (With Image) - May 23, 2012
- Rachel Zoe doesn't want to dress up Snooki - Mar 11, 2011
- Suicide or harassment? Woman jumps to death in mall - Apr 28, 2011
- SpongeBob inspired 8-yr-old US boy to save drowning neighbour - Jun 14, 2010
- Mumbai suicide victim's sister-in-law arrested - Mar 14, 2011
- Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraft - Oct 01, 2011
- Oprah to be Blue Ivy's Godmother - Jan 27, 2012
- 9-year-old Oz girl saves father from drowning - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Too perfect' Kate Middleton was 'badly bullied' in her boarding school - Apr 04, 2011
- Dog kills woman who saves children from attack - Feb 09, 2012
- Prince Charles' tribute to his 'mama' on her diamond jubilee celebrations - Jun 01, 2012
- Family forced Saldana to learn driving - Aug 21, 2011
- Homai Vyarawalla: My interaction with the grand old lady (First Person) - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: berkshire county, dad, daily express, daughter zoe, elderly father, elderly man, frail health, kerrin, lads, london, michael payne, mother sharon, sharon clark, sister marie, swimmer, thames river, two friends