Eight troopers killed in land mine explosion in TurkeyAugust 11th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ankara, Aug 11 (Xinhua) Eight Turkish security force soldiers were killed and three others injured in a land mine explosion in eastern Turkey Monday, the semi-official Anatolia news agency reported. The land mine, probably planted by the militants of the outlawed Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK), exploded while a military vehicle was passing by near Kemah town of Erzincan province, provincial Governor Ali Gungor was quoted as saying.
The wounded soldiers were taken to a hospital in Erzincan, Gungor said.
Meanwhile, Turkish troops killed a PKK militant, who was trying to enter a Special Forces building in the southern province of Hatay.
The PKK, listed by the United States and Turkey as a terrorist group, took up arms in 1984 with the aim of creating an ethnic homeland in the southeast. About 40,000 people have been killed in the armed insurgency.
- 7 'terrorists' killed in clash in Turkey: report - Apr 01, 2011
- Terror attack foiled in Turkey - Jul 08, 2012
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Eight Kurdish rebels killed in Turkey - Sep 14, 2009
- Abducted British tourist released in Turkey - Jun 04, 2012
- Kurdish militants attack Turkish convoy, kill 7 soldiers - Sep 19, 2012
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
- Inmates set prison on fire in Turkey - Jul 15, 2012
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- World's first quadruple limb transplant - Feb 26, 2012
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- 17 dead in Turkey clash - Jul 01, 2010
- Turkish planes strike Kurdish targets in Iraq - Feb 06, 2009
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: ali, anatolia, ankara, eastern turkey, insurgency, kurdish workers party, militants, military vehicle, mine explosion, news agency, pkk, provincial governor, security force, semi official, southern province, special forces, terrorist group, turkish troops, wounded soldiers, xinhua