Eight Taliban militants killed in AfghanistanMay 7th, 2009 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 7 (DPA) Afghan army forces killed five Taliban militants in a clash in eastern Afghanistan while three other insurgents were killed by their own bomb, officials said Thursday.
Taliban militants attacked an army outpost in Yahyakhel district of the south-eastern Paktia province Wednesday, but the soldiers at the post repulsed the attack, the Afghan Defence Ministry said in a statement.
Five militants were killed and another was detained by army soldiers during the engagement, the statement added, but did not say whether there were any casualties among their forces.
Separately, three militants were killed Wednesday night when a roadside mine they tried to plant in the southern province of Helmand exploded, the interior ministry said.
Three other militants clashed with police forces after they arrived in the area, the ministry said. Two more militants were wounded in the gun-battle, but all three managed to escape.
The Afghan Defence Ministry also said its forces rescued 11 kidnapped army soldiers and an Afghan interpreter, who were taken hostage by Taliban militants in Gazniabad district of the eastern Kanur province.
The militants attacked an army post in the area last week, killing four soldiers, wounding three more and taking the others hostage.
The army statement did not say when and how they secured the release of the hostages, but said the clash and the rescue operation left 24 militants dead.
Taliban-led violence is still on the rise in Afghanistan around eight years since the ouster of the Taliban regime. The militants vowed to increase their attacks as the county is expecting more than 20,000 additional US troops in the coming months. Currently around 70,000 international troops are stationed in Afghanistan.
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 95 killed in Afghan poll violence (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Blasts rock Kabul as security forces fight Taliban (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed, 13 held in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Taliban kill 35 road workers: Afghan official - May 19, 2011
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- Taliban's 'spring offensive' continues in Afghanistan - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, army forces, army outpost, army post, army soldiers, army statement, casualties, defence ministry, eastern afghanistan, gun battle, hostage, hostages, interior ministry, international troops, ouster, paktia province, police forces, southern province, taliban, taliban regime