Eight rebels gunned down in ManipurOctober 24th, 2008 - 12:51 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Oct 23 (IANS) At least eight militants were killed in three separate gun battles with the security forces in Manipur Thursday, officials said. A joint team of state commandos and paramilitary Assam Rifles killed five militants suspected to be from the outlawed Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP) in an encounter near village Heiheahe, about nine km off Manipur’s capital Imphal.
“Based on specific inputs we zeroed in on the KCP militants. There was a firefight in which five rebels were gunned down,” a senior police official said requesting not to be named.
Security forces later recovered an M-16 rifle, a carbine, and a pistol from the dead militants. In separate encounters, two more militants were killed close to Imphal Thursday night. The identities of the two militants killed in Gouranagar and Maharavi were not immediately known, the official said.
Weapons and grenades were recovered from the two dead rebels.
The KCP is a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur, a state of 2.4 million people, bordering Myanmar. The KCP claimed responsibility for a powerful explosion in Imphal Tuesday that killed 17 people and wounded 30 more.
There are more than 19 militant groups active in Manipur, bordering Myanmar, with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Nine Manipur militants killed in encounters (Lead) - Dec 24, 2009
- Three militants killed in Manipur - Dec 24, 2009
- Nine militants killed in Manipur encounters - Dec 24, 2009
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Three rebels killed in Manipur, 43 militants surrender in Assam - Feb 28, 2009
- Five militants killed in gun battle in Manipur - May 14, 2010
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
- Militant group bans Congress in Manipur, threatens execution - Oct 22, 2009
- Blast in Imphal, one killed - Nov 30, 2011
- Two rebels held, northeast on alert as I-Day approaches - Aug 09, 2011
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Seven separatists killed in Manipur encounter - Nov 01, 2009