Eight killed in Iraq suicide attackMay 25th, 2009 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 24 (DPA) Eight people were killed when a suicide bomber exploded a car packed with explosives at a US patrol in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul Sunday.
The explosion, which took place in the Mosul neighbourhood of al Duwasa, also killed the bomber and wounded 26 people, police said.
Police in Mosul, some 400 km north of Baghdad, did not provide any further details, and the US military did not immediately make any public statement about the attack or whether any US soldiers had been hurt.
Earlier Sunday, in Hilla, about 100 km south of Baghdad, a gunman shot a militiaman from a Sunni “Sahwa”, or “Awakening”, militia aligned with the government at a checkpoint he was manning, police there said.
Iraqi officials have been at pains to say that the recent spate of attacks should not obscure the overall improvement in Iraq’s security from three years ago, when some 13,000 people were killed in sectarian attacks.
“Iraq is now 90-percent secure,” Iraqi National Security Minister Sherwan al-Waeli told DPA Sunday.
The minister’s comments came after a spate of bombings in Baghdad and the northern city of Kirkuk left 74 people dead over the course of Wednesday night and Thursday.
April was the bloodiest month this year in Iraq. More than 300 people, mostly Shia Muslims in the capital, were killed in a series of deadly bomb blasts over the course of the month.
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Seven killed, 24 injured in Iraq attacks - Jun 11, 2010
- Four Iraqi soldiers among six killed in attacks - Sep 21, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Five killed, 17 injured in Iraq attacks - Aug 10, 2010
- 61 killed in Iraq attacks (Fourth Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 12 killed in Iraq bombings - Jul 23, 2012
- 57 killed in attacks on Iraqi police stations (Third Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Eight killed, 33 hurt in Iraq attacks (Night Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- 13 killed, 74 injured in series of blasts in Baghdad - May 22, 2011
Tags: bomb blasts, bombings, checkpoint, deadly bomb, explosives, gunman, hilla, iraqi city, iraqi officials, militia, mosul, neighbourhood, sahwa, sectarian attacks, security minister, sherwan, spate, suicide attack, suicide bomber, us military