Eight killed at US off-road raceAugust 15th, 2010 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 15 (IANS) Eight people were killed and 12 injured after a vehicle rammed into a crowd of spectators during an off-road race in California.
One of the cars in the California 200 race ploughed into the crowd at high speed after careering over a jump just half-an-hour after the start Saturday night, the Daily Mail reported.
The driver was thought to be among the dead. Other victims were crushed beneath the car.
The race was being held in Soggy Dry Lake Bed near the city of Lucerne Valley, 160 km northeast of Los Angeles.
David Conklin, a photographer who was covering the event, said the car had been among the first 20 off the line and had just gone over a jump called the ‘rockpile’.
“I heard screaming and shouting”, he said. “I saw one woman with a major head wound lying in a pool of blood. Someone else was crushed beneath the car.”
Seven ambulances were sent to the scene, a fire official said.
Tens of thousands go to watch the California 200, where dune buggy-style cars leap jumps and other obstacles around and off-road course. There is little or no barrier between the spectators and the cars as they career around the course.
Off-road racing is a format of racing where various classes of specially modified vehicles (including cars, motorcycles and buggies) compete in races through off-road environments.
- Lucerne Valley Car Crash Kills Eight, Injures 17 - Aug 16, 2010
- Desert Race Accident Kills 8, Worst Seen Since Darren J Bullock - Aug 17, 2010
- Off-Road Racer Nathan Woods Dies After Injuring Himself During Practice Session - Jan 29, 2011
- Rise in number of US children suffering injuries from using adult-sized ATV's - Apr 05, 2011
- Gaddafi fled on golf cart through tunnel? - Aug 26, 2011
- Dakar Rally gets underway in South America - Jan 02, 2010
- All-terrain wheelchair for disabled use - Mar 08, 2012
- Polaris plans to launch electric cars in India - Dec 24, 2011
- 'Lexus car is most likely to be attacked by vandal' - Apr 23, 2011
- The king is modest in tiring triumph - Oct 17, 2011
- Rana, Frauwallner seal mountain rally honours - Oct 17, 2011
- GM launches 2011 Hummer H2 SUT - Feb 04, 2011
- Rally car accident kills 3 spectators in Serbia - Aug 20, 2012
- Six-time 'Raid' winner in top gear again - Oct 10, 2011
- Hit-and-run Chinese driver returns to kill hurt couple - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: ambulances, buggies, california one, crowd, daily mail, dune buggy, environments, fire official, half an hour, high speed, lucerne valley, miss hungary, motorcycles, obstacles, photographer, pool of blood, rockpile, saturday night, spectators, style cars, tens of thousands