Eight killed as Philippine marines, rebels clashJune 11th, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
Zamboanga City (Philippines), June 11 (DPA) Eight people were killed Thursday when government troops raided a hideout of Islamic militants holding captive an Italian Red Cross worker in the southern Philippines, the military said.
Navy spokesman Lt. Col. Edgard Arevalo said marines raided a hideout of Abu Sayyaf rebels in Indanan town on Jolo island, 1,000 km south of Manila, at dawn, triggering a clash with around 100 guerrillas.
Two marines were killed, while four were wounded, he said.
“The rebels suffered at least six dead and an undetermined number of wounded,” he added. “The number may rise after clearing operations. Meanwhile, combat operations are still ongoing.”
Arevalo said the rebels were led by Abu Sayyaf leaders Albader Parad and Umbra Jumdail, who were with Jemaah Islamiyah operative Omar Patek.
He said Italian Red Cross worker Eugenio Vagni was not with the group of rebels.
“They must have moved him,” he said. “They know we were building up intelligence information against them and they know they can’t keep him in one place.”
Vagni was abducted Jan 15 with two other colleagues after inspecting a water and sanitation project in the Jolo provincial jail. His two colleagues - a Swiss and a Filipino - were freed separately in April.
- Emergency declared as beheading deadline up in Philippines - Mar 31, 2009
- At least 7 killed when troops and militants clash in Philippines - Feb 14, 2011
- Philippine rebels free Red Cross worker after 25 weeks - Jul 12, 2009
- Sri Lankan peace advocate kidnapped in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Kidnappers demand $5 mn for kidnapped Red Cross staff - Jan 18, 2009
- Kidnapped principal beheaded in the Philippines - Nov 09, 2009
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Freed Swiss Red Cross hostage leaves for Switzerland - Apr 21, 2009
- Southern Philippine rebels clash and kill 12 soldiers - Jul 28, 2012
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Militants behead hostage in Philippines - May 18, 2009
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- ISI claims credit for arrest of 2002 Bali bombings suspect in Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: abducted, abu sayyaf rebels, arevalo, combat operations, cross worker, edgard, government troops, guerrillas, hideout, islamic militants, jemaah islamiyah, jolo island, navy spokesman, parad, philippine marines, sanitation project, southern philippines, umbra, undetermined number, water and sanitation