Eight killed, 40 injured in Lebanon fighting

May 9th, 2008 - 4:32 pm ICT by admin  

Beirut, May 9 (Xinhua) At least eight people were killed and 40 wounded in three days of sectarian fighting in the Lebanese capital, security sources said Friday. Among the injured, two were reported to be in critical condition.

The fighting between Hezbollah and pro-government supporters in Beirut entered the third day Friday, with crackle of gunfire and sporadic bursts of rocket-propelled grenade echoing overnight.

Lebanese Al Mustaqbal (Future) TV, mouthpiece of majority party Future Movement led by Saad Hariri, stopped local and cable broadcasting Friday morning, after opposition gunmen occupied the station and turned it over to the Lebanese army.

Naharnet news website reported that Al Mustaqbal newspaper building in Ramlet al-Baida, southwestern Beirut, was attacked by rockets at dawn Friday.

Hezbollah gunmen are heavily deployed in Beirut, particularly in the districts of Hamra, Karakol Druze, Raouche, Mulla, Talet el-Khayat, Zaidaniyeh, Ras Nabaa, Basta Zoqaq Blat and Nweiri, said the report.

Lebanon is currently facing the most serious political deadlock since the end of the 1975-1990 civil war.

The Lebanese parliament has not been able to elect a president since Nov 24, 2007 when Emile Lahoud stepped down.

While the rival factions have agreed on the election of army chief Michel Suleiman as the successor, they disagree on the shake-up of a new cabinet and 18 attempts of parliament to choose a president have been cancelled so far.

The presidency deadlock deepened the Lebanese political crisis as fears are mounting that failure to reach a deal on the presidential candidate could result in more violence in the country.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |