Eight killed, 17 injured in fresh Iraq violenceJuly 15th, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 14 (DPA) A fresh outbreak of violence across Iraq, including an attack on four shepherds near the northern city of Mosul, killed at least eight people and injured 17 others, security officials said Monday. Gunmen shot dead the shepherds west of Mosul, 400 km north of Baghdad, police told the Voices of Iraq VOI news agency.
They also abducted two women and a child who were accompanying the shepherds.
A man wearing an explosives belt was shot dead by police, east of Mosul, after he opened fire on them, security sources said. The police then detonated the belt.
In a separate incident in east Mosul, Iraqi army troops captured a senior member of the Sunni extremist group known as the Islamic State of Iraq.
Three civilians were killed in Baghdad, and 14 injured, when a man threw a hand grenade into a crowd of people and traffic policemen in the Alawi area in the centre of the capital, police sources said.
The area is usually packed with people as it is home to many main bus terminals.
In the restive province of Diyala, three tribal police volunteers were injured when their car was struck by a bomb near a village east of Baquba according to local security sources.
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- 17 killed in two Iraq attacks - Dec 01, 2011
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- Six, including medic, killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 11, 2010
- Two policemen killed in Iraq bombings - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: abducted, army troops, baquba, bus terminals, capital police, crowd of people, extremist group, gunmen, hand grenade, iraqi army, islamic state of iraq, local security, mosul, police sources, police volunteers, security officials, security sources, traffic policemen, tribal police, voices of iraq