Eight die in China boat capsizeSeptember 10th, 2011 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 9 (IANS) At least eight people, including six school students, were killed Friday when a ferry sank in a river in China, officials said.
The incident took place in Tangtianshi town of central Hunan province, Xinhua reported.
A total of 39 passengers, including 33 primary and middle school students and six adults, were aboard the vessel when it sank in the Fuyi river, an official said.
Eyewitnesses said overloading was probably to blame for the accident. The students were on their way home for the upcoming mid-autumn festival — a traditional Chinese holiday.
At least 14 people were rescued and sent to hospitals. Authorities were checking how many students were still missing.
The ferry owner is in police custody.
- Three kids die in China road accident - Mar 26, 2012
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- Ferry capsizes in Egypt, 22 killed - Apr 29, 2011
- Seven migrants dead in boat capsize off Indonesia - Nov 01, 2011
- Nine dead after pleasure boat sinks in Moscow - Aug 01, 2011
- Four school kids killed in China accident - Dec 25, 2011
- 12 feared dead after ferry sinks in eastern China - Aug 17, 2012
- Peru shipwreck toll rises to 21 - May 30, 2010
- Bangladesh ferry capsize toll rises to 110 - Mar 14, 2012
- Death toll in Indonesian ferry accident rises to 27 - Nov 23, 2009
- Seven drowned in Goa as schoolbus falls into river (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Six killed in China road accident - Feb 12, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
- Six school girls injured in Gurgaon - May 30, 2012