Eight cops arrested in Mexico for sexual assaultsApril 12th, 2012 - 11:55 am ICT by IANS
Monterrey (Mexico), April 12 (IANS/EFE) Eight newly hired Nuevo Leon state police officers have been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting two young women in northern Mexico, state officials said.
The officers - three of whom have confessed - arrested two young women and later sexually assaulted them. The incident was reported by a policewoman, Nuevo Leon state Security Council spokesperson Jorge Domene said.
“In recent days, personnel from this police agency detained two young women,” Domene said.
Nuevo Leon officials have worked to clean up the old police departments that had been infiltrated by organised crime groups, creating the new Civil Force, whose officers were involved in the incident.
Salaries for the new officers have been tripled and they are subject to extensive vetting before being hired.
The officers caught the young women committing an unspecified crime in March and arrested them, media reports said.
The young women spoke with the officers and engaged in sex acts to avoid being detained, Mexican media outlets reported.
The officers involved are being prosecuted thanks to the tip from the female officer, Domene said.
“We must act in accordance with the law and not permit any other acts like this to happen,” the state Security Council spokesman said.
The roles played by the officers who have not confessed are being examined “to see what type of penalty will be imposed on them”, Domene said.
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Kidnapping victims held in Mexican jail - Oct 07, 2011
- 6 policemen kidnapped in Mexican city - Mar 12, 2011
- 5 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway - Feb 08, 2011
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- 6 partially burned bodies found in Mexico - Feb 01, 2011
- Five shot dead at disco in Mexican city - Apr 16, 2012
- Kidnapped Mexican singer found dead - Feb 13, 2012
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- Cops arrested during probe into murders of Mexican governor's security personnel - Jun 17, 2011
- Nine killed in drug related attacks in Mexico - May 23, 2011
- Footballer-turned-gangster arrested in Mexico - Jan 09, 2012
- 14 die in fire at Mexican prison - May 21, 2011
- 49 mutilated bodies found on Mexican highway (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- 44 die in fight at Mexican prison (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: accordance with the law, crime groups, domene, efe, media outlets, mexico state, mj, monterrey mexico, northern mexico, police agency, police departments, policewoman, salaries, sexual assaults, spokesman, spokesperson, state officials, state police officers, state security council, young women